Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Starlink Connected Services coming to Canada with the 2020 versions of the Outback, Forester, and Legacy, it would be interesting to hear about experiences with the new service, costs, how does the remote start functionality work in remote areas, etc.

I know it is still very early and 2020 models aren't even really available yet, but hopefully soon, there will be an opportunity to learn about first cases :).

Link to Subaru Canada Starlink Connected Services website: https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=22828

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
4 Posts
Hi, sort of off topic but I just wanted to add that according to my local dealer, 2019 Foresters will not be able to be receive a Starlink upgrade. So anyone looking to buy a '19 in Canada and thinking they can upgrade later, they won't be able to. Better off buying the '20 if Starlink is a priority.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just got a 2020 Forester Limited with Starlink. Had a very hard time to get it working. Could not get the account registered and absolutely no support from STARLINK. When you call the help line you get a recording and no one ever calls back,VERY IMPRESSIVE SERVICE!. Finally got it going. Remote start is nice but not sure how often I'll use it. Will have to play with it but doesn't look too useful so far. I will update after I've had some time to experiment.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
281 Posts
Just got a 2020 Forester Limited with Starlink. Had a very hard time to get it working. Could not get the account registered and absolutely no support from STARLINK. When you call the help line you get a recording and no one ever calls back,VERY IMPRESSIVE SERVICE!. Finally got it going. Remote start is nice but not sure how often I'll use it. Will have to play with it but doesn't look too useful so far. I will update after I've had some time to experiment.
I think remote start makes sense for those of us that don't have a garage. Why wouldn't you want to start your car a few minutes before leaving the house on a cold day?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring & 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion
4 Posts
We had an interesting experience a couple days ago with my wife’s 2020 Forester. It started all by itself while in our closed garage. Luckily we were both home and in the living room. I looked at her and asked her why she just started her car after hearing it beep and then the engine start. She was on her phone and assumed she was playing with the app. But she didn’t do it and the app wasn’t running. My first thought was that her account was hacked. She set it up using a strong password. I quickly grabbed the keys, opened the garage door to let the exhaust out, and jumped in the car to turn it off. We contacted our dealership immediately who expressed equal concern and they are working with Starlink to find out what happened. Oddly, when my wife loaded the Starlink app and logs in on her phone, it shows there’s no vehicle registered anymore. But when she logs in via the website, it does. So something has happened on Starlinks servers/database. My feeling is they still have a few bugs to workout. I am currently researching how to disable the cellular data connection. Likely a fuse or SIM card that can be pulled. If anyone knows, please share.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,326 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes you’re absolutely right that is a significant concern. And why I always keep my CO hardwired detectors current and have a backup plugin CO detector on the bedroom level. More because my 10 year old natural gas (NG) furnace is known for their 2nd stage heat exchange cracks, and we have NG water heater as well as a NG fireplace. So lots of sources of CO.

As for forgetting to shut off the engine and leave the car the car running after returning home and parking in a garage. That’s been addressed with newer models. Both my wife’s 2020 Forester and my 2018 VW Golf Sportswagen chirps at you (loudly) when you exit the vehicle with the key fob in your pocket when they are running to let you know they are still running. But older models with early iterations of keyless ignition likely do not.

Your "interesting experience" could have resulted in two more deaths from keyless ignitions:

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
21 Posts
I am very grateful for the chirp on the 2020 Forester. It is my first keyless car, I've only had it three days, and it has already chirped at me twice for forgetting to shut off the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE: our Subaru dealer learned what happened and has shared the details so we know what happened. But due to potential risk it would entail, I’m not going to share the details. Subaru and Starlink needs to seriously reassess how they operate their Starlink Connected services as how they are doing it now is utterly absurd.

We had an interesting experience a couple days ago with my wife’s 2020 Forester. It started all by itself while in our closed garage. Luckily we were both home and in the living room. I looked at her and asked her why she just started her car after hearing it beep and then the engine start. She was on her phone and assumed she was playing with the app. But she didn’t do it and the app wasn’t running. My first thought was that her account was hacked. She set it up using a strong password. I quickly grabbed the keys, opened the garage door to let the exhaust out, and jumped in the car to turn it off. We contacted our dealership immediately who expressed equal concern and they are working with Starlink to find out what happened. Oddly, when my wife loaded the Starlink app and logs in on her phone, it shows there’s no vehicle registered anymore. But when she logs in via the website, it does. So something has happened on Starlinks servers/database. My feeling is they still have a few bugs to workout. I am currently researching how to disable the cellular data connection. Likely a fuse or SIM card that can be pulled. If anyone knows, please share.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using the starlink remote start extensively in my 2020 Forester. My parking stall at work is far from my office, so it comes in handy during the cold Winnipeg winters. Only twice has it failed to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Starlink has some limited use in older models. My 2016 radio has a Starlink App. I cannot figure out how it is really any different than simply connecting my phone via Blue Tooth. Do any of you know? Also, does Starlink upload my car use data to Subaru?

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited
100 Posts
UPDATE: our Subaru dealer learned what happened and has shared the details so we know what happened. But due to potential risk it would entail, I’m not going to share the details. Subaru and Starlink needs to seriously reassess how they operate their Starlink Connected services as how they are doing it now is utterly absurd.
Interesting, by now they must have fixed the issue, would you share what happened? Was it a breach in the system?

You know garage door opener like myQ from Chamberlain? I'm always afraid that one day a hacker will breach in and open all garage doors in America with a single command.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts