* Prodrive shift knob
* OEM All Weather mats
* OEM cargo tray and nets

Exterior

* OEM bike rack
* OEM Forester Sport grill
* '02 JDM STi scoop, primer gray for now
* Protective layer of dust

06/02/07 -- I purchased my '07 5MT FXT Limited with about 6 miles on the clock. I found it by looking at local dealers' inventory on Subaru.com, it was hidden away in a corner of an auxiliary lot at Albany Ford Subaru, covered in lots of dust. Battery was dead.

Cell-phone picture of the first day of ownership:

06/23/07 -- First mod (if you can call it that) was installing a roof rack so I could carry our bikes.

06/28/07 -- I quickly discovered the stock handling limitations, so Swift springs were purchased from Gary at Mann Engineering, and installed by LIC Motorsports in Novato, CA, along with a 22mm Cusco Rear Sway Bar. Car was also re-aligned. Car had about 2,500 miles on the clock when this upgrade happened.

08/01/07 -- Next upgrade was a Green panel filter. I also took the snorkus out at that time, but put it back in after a few thousand miles.

09/20/07 -- I purchased a used set of 18x8 Hyper Silver ROTA Tarmac 3 with 245/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport tires on them from a local Outback XT owner.

11/03/07 -- 10,200 miles, went from dyno Castrol GTX 5w30 to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife 5w30.

12/08/07 -- Understeered into a rock on ice in Tahoe, CA. Got lucky and only bent driver-side tie-rods. Tie-rods were replaced at LIC in Novato, CA. Alignment was also done, here are the specs:

12/20/07 -- I purchased a used WRX Prodrive oval-tip axle-back from a local Nasioc member. The snorkus was put back some time after I installed the axle-back, after coming back from a long road trip. The wooshing got waaay too annoying. The Prodrive on the other hand purrs nicely, and is relatively quiet.

02/02/08 -- Car was dyno'ed at FLI in Santa Rosa, CA. This was a Forester-specific event organized by FLI and Roo (thanks Ryan and Roo).

My dyno results:

03/27/2008 -- Purchased a COBB AccessPort from Fine Line Imports in Santa Rosa, CA, flashed to Stage 1 Cobb OTS map. Car turns 19,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you. Yes, the Swift springs are great -- make the car look nicer IMO, improve handling yet still maintain civil ride quality and enough clearance. Very effective upgrade.

Next planned upgrades are:

1) mo_boost LLWS
2) Perrin subframe bolts
3) Cobb Access Port -- Stage 1
4) Cobb catted downpipe -- Stage 2, w00t!
5) Prodrive Silicone Intercooler "Y" Hose
6) Pro-tune

I really like these pictures Silke took during the drive last Sunday, thanks Silke!

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
103 Posts
Car looks great, what wheel offset are you 18'' rotas? Im looking to do the same as you (swifts with 245/45).

Does the tire rub at all?

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
03/27/2008 -- Today was a good day for my car. I bought an AccessPort from Fine Line Imports in Santa Rosa, CA, it was the last one they had in stock. Firmware just came out yesterday, and this morning I had the car flashed to Stage 1 Cobb OTS map.

Also, a Cobb catted downpipe got delivered today. I bought it used off of a Nasioc member in CO, it looks like new. Hopefully I can install it soon and flash to Stage 2. FLI protune will follow.

Also, car turned 19,000 miles today.

:Banane17:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Nice! So does this make your car the first 07 XT to be sporting an AccessPort?

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I was the first one on this forum that reported flashing an '07. Ryan from FLI flashed his '08 FXT the day before -- same day the firmware came out.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,660 Posts
Nice. I have always admired your car and mods. I got my car at albany subaru too. Some swifts and a prodrive axle-back are in my near future as well. I too plan on getting some 18x8 rims and tires but will only go with a 225/45 series tire.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. My goal is to stick with mods that are simple, effective, low-key and best-bang-for-the-buck. I also try to buy used when I can -- new stuff is expensive.

So, next on the list is install of the COBB catted downpipe and flashing to COBB Stage 2, hoping to get it done this Saturday. Then the LLWSs, once they show up.

COBB catted downpipe:

High-flow cat:

With other Subarus:

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
04/05/08 -- COBB catted downpipe installed, car flashed to OTS ACN91 Stage 2 map. Sound level stayed about the same, except now when you get on it it sounds more mean. Power gain is nice, pulls much harder, you hit 5K very quickly. Brakes feel really weak now. Car is at 19,400 miles.

Car up on ramps:

Stock and COBB downpipes side by side:

I cut the stock heatshield, fits nicely:

Before the heat shield was installed:

Overall, install was pretty easy. Cutting the heat shield to fit perfectly took a few tries. So far I'm very happy with the upgrade, and the ECU is still re-learning.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Nice pix! I'll be running the same wheels you got in just a few days! Before I bought them I looked at your car about 100x. Swifts and 18" Tarmac 3s!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I decided to upgrade the struts and lower the car a bit more. I obtained a set of 04+ WRX sedan struts with KONI inserts already installed, and RCE wagon springs. It came out very low, so 1/2" HDPE spacers were added on all 4 corners to gain a bit more height. I was able to get the car aligned with -1.5 front and -1 rear camber using the stock bolts.

The ride was a bit harsh with 18" rims, so I decided to sell them and bought a set of anthracite Prodrive P7s with 225/50/17 Falcon 912s. The car rides much smoother and handles better than with the Swift springs. I like the adjustability of the KONIs and am running them 1/4 turn from soft at the moment for daily driving.

Next up are VF43, STi TMIC, STi p&p headers and Whiteline 24mm front sway bar. They are all in the garage, awaiting install.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may. The Sport bumper would make the car look alot better also, as well as some nice tint. Maybe some day..

Gotta do the turbo+protune first though, much higher priority :icon_biggrin:

Stan

1 - 20 of 188 Posts