Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Forgive me if this a bit of a noob question, but I have the standard tyres on the Forester set to the pressures indicated in the manual.
All well and good I'd think nothing more about it. But! I was chatting to a chap who had heard it mentioned that best results had been from setting the pressures higher than spec.

Now after reading the thread about driving in snow, it too mentioned about tyre pressures, I was wondering if I'm missing something :confused:

So I thought I would ask you lot :)

Thanks

BTW: I did a quick search in this section for 'tyre pressures' and it came up with nowt. Oh and its a standard UK spec 04 2.0XT with 16" alloys.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
The factory recommended pressures are for best ALL around driving. Snow, rain etc. For dry performance i'd run them at least 5 PSI higher. It will stiffen the sidewalls but also ride will suffer a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks m8 I'll try that. Virtually all my driving is road based, apart from the odd dirt track when I go paragliding.

Oh and a firmer ride is not a problem, I've just come from a MIni Cooper with sports suspension fitted..................my back is still recovering :D

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Forgot to add that gas mileage will increase as well. My first hand-me-down was a '66 Mini cooper S. Pops put Konis on in place of the hydrolastic so I can relate. Though at that age, I don't remember complaining about the ride for some reason!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
+5psi is good. If you run them at the recomended pressure, they will wear out the edges faster than the center.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
I run my Michelin XM1's at 36psi and did the same with the Geolander's to stop them squealing their heads off at the slightest hint of turning.
I admit that down here in Aust where I am we only have Wet & Dry conditions we never have snow.

So far I have 40,000 kms up on the "Michies" and they look to be about 50% worn when I had a rotation and balance done last week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts