Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some have complained about the stock audio system in the '14 Forester.

I thought the audio was way too bassy right from the get go. Seems like the stock speakers are intended for bass only.

So far this is best configuration I have come up with and has improved the sound quite a bit in my opinion:

Bass: -5

Midrange: +5

Treble: +2

Fader: 0

Balance: 0

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
95 Posts
Take the Loudness off

The super bassyness is cause by the loud being on.
Hold 1-6 together and tap the tuning button, reset your eq flat and you will see a nice difference.

Cheers !

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
95 Posts
I didn't hear a difference between wagon and sedan. Through sounded off to me. Does anyone know if it changes the wattage or output, or is it just different digital processing ?

the loudness on sucks also there are 3 modes Sedan Wagon and Though mess around with it and find the one you like the best

See the thread on NASIOC for more info
Hidden menu for 2011+ "premium" head unit? - NASIOC

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I have any of those setting mentioned above. Remember the heading of this thread, STANDARD radio. Meaning, the cheapest audio system Subaru could put in their Base Model Forester.

I will check again for those settings, but I think I did check one time and couldn't come up with a LOUDNESS on or off setting.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
I don't think I have any of those setting mentioned above. Remember the heading of this thread, STANDARD radio. Meaning, the cheapest audio system Subaru could put in their Base Model Forester.

I will check again for those settings, but I think I did check one time and couldn't come up with a LOUDNESS on or off setting.
I checked mine too, no joy for alternative settings.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Premium CVT
26 Posts

I also have a base model 2014 Forester CVT. Following the steps detailed in some of the previous posts, last night I turned off the default "loud" setting. While pressing on the 1 and 6 buttons, you just touch the tune knob and "loud" will be turned off or on. I didn't check out any of the other "hidden menu" sound settings, but there is definitely a "loud" adjustment on my Forester's audio system. I didn't find any mention of this in the owner's manual. IIRC, the radio has to be on in order to change the "loud" setting.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
I wish someone would suggest settings for the HK eq... I never seem to get it right for Sat / FM and I'm a real dunce with EQs. :icon_sad:

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
I wish someone would suggest settings for the HK eq... I never seem to get it right for Sat / FM and I'm a real dunce with EQs. :icon_sad:
Here is how mine is set up... I am no expert, but this sounds good to me. Moving the sound back some (to the rear) makes a huge difference.

Untitled by jasplund91, on Flickr

Untitled by jasplund91, on Flickr

·
Registered
800 Posts
Boy that's a lot of .... well everything. From what the sound was initially, I would have thought I'd need to reduce a bunch of stuff.

Also, what input do you use those settings for? All of them?

I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
Here is how mine is set up... I am no expert, but this sounds good to me. Moving the sound back some (to the rear) makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'll have to see how it works on SAT and iPhone, but thanks all the same!

You are a scholar and a .... well you're a scholar!!:Banane35:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0X CVT
43 Posts
I added the Kicker Tweeters to the base model. The sound has improved greatly. Its plug and play since all wiring is in place.

In Europe the Base model has no factory tweeters installed.

Now considering to upgrade the rest of the speakers.. or not.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium MT 6 speed manual
26 Posts
Ordered the 6 speaker upgrade for my premium. Tweeters arrived today, speakers tomorrow, I bought from 2 different vendors. Tweeters took all of 5 minutes to put in. Big improvement. But the tweeters now dominate. I think replacing the doors will make this a quite acceptable system without having to upgrade the hu. Nothing spectacular but at least as good as the "premium" HK that was in my 2010 MINI.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Ordered the 6 speaker upgrade for my premium. Tweeters arrived today, speakers tomorrow, I bought from 2 different vendors. Tweeters took all of 5 minutes to put in. Big improvement. But the tweeters now dominate. I think replacing the doors will make this a quite acceptable system without having to upgrade the hu. Nothing spectacular but at least as good as the "premium" HK that was in my 2010 MINI.
aftermarket speakers or the ones subaru sells?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
66 Posts
The super bassyness is cause by the loud being on.
Hold 1-6 together and tap the tuning button, reset your eq flat and you will see a nice difference.!
Thank you! I was going nutz trying to tame that cheap sounding booming bass. Honestly, how was that ever the default?

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Thank you! I was going nutz trying to tame that cheap sounding booming bass. Honestly, how was that ever the default?
The same reason TVs are set to "Vivid" in the store. Many people think exaggerated mid-bass sounds good. i.e., Bose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts