Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had some valves replaced at a garage, 2003 XT I have done 92K miles in it. I get the car back and it is still stalling half way down the road on cold start, including when I leave work as well. Taken it back to the garage and left it for them to see for themselves. Apparently it didn't cut out. It now has an oil leak, crank oil seal needs replacing.

I am not getting any error codes, althought it feels like there is a slight misfire. I cleaned the maf sensor and thought I had fixed it as the next morning it didnt cut out. It had started to make funny noises when I first got it back from the garage and cleaning the maf seemed to have fixed it.
I can usually tell when it is going to cut out as I get a power loss and the car slows right down and just about moves with my foot almost on the floor!

Could this still be a maf problem?

Anyone know what it might be?

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really?

Hummm..... I did have a look on the live data, but then I really have no idea what is good and whats not. I have a new lambda sensor so will get the exhaust off and replace it (according to Subaru the rear one is the o2 and the front is exhaust temp?)
I guess it would explain the the slight misfire.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
to change the 02 sensor, which is the exhaust side of the turbo on mine , you only really need to take the intercooler off to get at it properly . Mine is a 97 stb and doesn't have a sensor in the up pipe . Hope this helps or not as the case maybe!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
sometimes those diagnostic machines are a bit iffy ...I took my Impreza to have a diagnostic check last year because it was running so rough at start up. My idea was that the water temp sensor was faulty but the garage assured me that it definitely definitely wasn't , no way they said 'its not showing up' ...So i went against their advice and changed it anyway and it certainly absolutely 100% was the water temp sensor !!

I'm sure someone like Don will have the proper answer to your woes :)

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,869 Posts
I'm sure someone like Don will have the proper answer to your woes :)
:biggrin::biggrin:

Just had some valves replaced at a garage,
Knowing what "valves" you are talking about would help.

If we are talking head work them maybe the timing belt is out a tooth.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume exhaust valves. Cylinder 3 had no compression.

I know I have to o2 sensors, front and rear. I always assumed the rear was to check the cat was still working but according to subaru its not, its the main o2 sensor and the front is exhaust gas temp or something. There is also a temp sensor somewhere below the intercooler according to the the service manuals.
Just passed the mot which is a good thing, thought it may fail if lambda was not working properly. Though he had said it was out at first and then corrected itself.
Will change sensor tomorrow and see who it goes, fingers crossed.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,869 Posts
I assume exhaust valves. Cylinder 3 had no compression.
So you have an AT 2.0XT with LPG conversion that lost compression on one cylinder, which you think has had the exhaust valves replaced/ reseated? (Using Flashlube?) I would have wanted to know what was done.

I know I have to o2 sensors, front and rear.
Sort of, one in the RH manifold (A/F sensor) and one next to the 2nd cat (O2 sensor)

I always assumed the rear was to check the cat was still working but according to subaru its not, its the main o2 sensor and the front is exhaust gas temp or something.
As above
Don't know who your Subaru source is, but they don't seem to know what they are talking about.
The A/F sensor (22641AA042) controls the Air/Fuel ratio and costs around £120 upwards. Given your age and mileage its about due to go (from mine and experiences of others on here) but the only effect i've seen for that is a slight increase in fuel consumption.

There is also a temp sensor somewhere below the intercooler according to the the service manuals.
Your EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) probe is in the up pipe just before the turbo.

Just passed the mot which is a good thing, thought it may fail if lambda was not working properly. Though he had said it was out at first and then corrected itself.
So did it get through the MOT with the stalling problem or did that start after wards??

Will change sensor tomorrow and see who it goes, fingers crossed.
As you don't appear to have any CEL's or error codes its a bit premature to go changing sensors and any way which one?
Rear O2 sensor (22690AA491) costs about £100-£130.

As you have had head work done, I still think your timing belt may be off

Reading this..............
http://www.endwrench.com/images/pdfs/TBeltEWWin05.pdf
gives.........
quote "Also, faulty valve timing is a common cause of emissions
test failures for excessive CO." unquote

Good Luck

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks or the info. They said they replaced 4 valves on the cylinder, head gasket, belts and all the other stuff. They gave me one back which shows it has burnt (chipped away) they originally said they had bent. Who knows. I am going back later to find out where my missing bolts, service cover and why they cut the exhaust cover instead of taking it off properly.

Not used flashlube, though now considering having it installed.

It only stalls once or twice on cold start. After that it is fine. I already have an o2 sensor which I bought after I was told it needed to be replaced as it had threw up a sensor problem when I took it back they they was trying to find what the problem was. Not come up since I have had it back though!
I have heard they are only really good for 40K or so miles so well over due :p
AF sensor, that's the one! lol. Manual just lists them both as o2 sensor front and rear. Subaru was Slip End in Luton who are a pain to get part numbers out of or general info unless cash is involved.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,869 Posts
Subaru was Slip End in Luton who are a pain to get part numbers out of or general info unless cash is involved.
Glad I still travel to Adams, if needed. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I changed it and it is running a lot better. No longer feels like there is a misfire and seems to have it's power back :)0 Though, to my disappointment it does still cut out on cold start.
Might, as a last try give the air bypass valve a clean. It is idling at about 600, which to me seems a little low. Will need to check the manual.

I can live with it for now I guess, damn annoying. But if it is the timing that should be sorted once I have enough monies to have the oil leak fixed.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just checked idle and its 700 +/- 100 rpm so within spec

1 - 12 of 12 Posts