Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5x special edition
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people have been looking at exhaust tips for their new Foresters, as was I. I looked at many at different parts stores but never found any I liked at a decent price. I was in Walmart (try not to go there if I can help it) looking for something else and found a great set of tips. They are polished stainless, rolled tip w/ an angle cut and mount easily with built in brackets. They fit perfect, I pushed them right up against the muffler and the end sticks out about an inch. Best news----only 9.98 each.

·
Registered
10 FORESTER 2.5X PZEV
13 Posts
stainless exhaust tips 2010 Forester

Yes, we need pictures! I'm also looking for SS tips but think the Subaru price is too much money...:Banane37:

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
^^ Me like.... what kind is that? Costs? How much noise does it make? (I dont like too much noise)

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
Could you post the brand /sku number

so I can go to or call my local Wally Worlds to see if they have them. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
4 Posts
Forester in US: Stainles steel exhaust (see Powertrain section) Is it true:icon_question: My FXT exhaust is pretty rusted after this winter in Europe.
The link: see carsdirect.com and then Research and then select forester specs

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
eex2 ... what I think you are asking, is "are the exhaust systems on North American Foresters made from stainless steel?. And if so, why is mine (in the European market) so rusty? Is mine also made of stainless steel?"

Yes, they are made from stainless steel (here anyway, and likely in your market), but keep in mind that all grades of stainless steel are not impervious to rust. The most common grade of stainless used in automotive exhaust systems does show corrosion effects over time, but it does so at a much slower rate than common mild steel. I think (but can't say with 100% certainty - it has been a long time since my material science college course days!) that this is called grade 409 stainless steel.

If, however, you buy an exhaust system that uses grade 304 stainless (also called 18-8 ss), it will start out much shinier than a 409 system, and stay that way longer. But, 304 is harder to work with, and the base material costs more, so OEM's tend not to use it.

All that said, the exhaust on my 2010 Foz is also showing signs of corrosion. I bought it ~ 2 weeks ago, but it did sit at least part of this winter at a dealer in the Detroit, Michigan area, and possibly got a little 'test drive' use while there. The amount of corrosion that I see is what I'd expect after some exposure to the road salt used here in winter.

Stainless steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2009 FXT
4 Posts
....The most common grade of stainless used in automotive exhaust systems does show corrosion effects over time, but it does so at a much slower rate than common mild steel.
einy...I agree, even the original Stainless exhaust tips for 2010 Forester do corrode - see the picture of mine. I think the tips are made of low end grade SS. However, I though the exhaust was probably painted (heat resistant, sometimes flacking paint) mild steel. I need to verify it, and I wonder how to do it (200 and 300 series are not magnetic, 400 SS is magnetic as mild still is). And, again, 400 SS is prone to chloride.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Looking at mine, I'm speculating that the pipes themselves are a lower grade s/s, but the mufflers and (stock) integral exhaust tips are aluminized mild steel. Since I don't really have a winter on mine yet, and therefore don't have much corrosion on the exhaust to speak of, I'm contemplating taking off the mufflers, cleaning them up as best I can, scuffing the factory paint, and putting a couple of top coats of heat resistant paint (silver or flat black ... have not decided yet) to further protect them from visible corrosion if they do turn out to be mild steel and not s/s. They are very visible, after all!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Looking at mine, I'm speculating that the pipes themselves are a lower grade s/s, but the mufflers and (stock) integral exhaust tips are aluminized mild steel. Since I don't really have a winter on mine yet, and therefore don't have much corrosion on the exhaust to speak of, I'm contemplating taking off the mufflers, cleaning them up as best I can, scuffing the factory paint, and putting a couple of top coats of heat resistant paint (silver or flat black ... have not decided yet) to further protect them from visible corrosion if they do turn out to be mild steel and not s/s. They are very visible, after all!
several people on here have painted the mufflers black and its a huge noticeable difference. Will be doing mine soon, its a nice cheap exterior upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts