Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Automatic
219 Posts
You can throw the cat back exhaust on there without a protune if you'd like. You won't have much performance gain and really only sound at that point. I would recommend to save up for VF52/Downpipe/protune. Those three alone will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
155 Posts
I run a VF52 @19psi peak on Premium Unleaded with stock TMIC and no issues, then 21psi on E85 running stock TMIC with reinforced U-channel steel at the edges and it's still holding like a champ so far... but yeah, if/when budget permits, get a bigger TMIC. :icon_razz:

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
For me it was not the fact that the endtanks come uncrimped but the fact of how small they are and how hot mine would get at the track. As soon as i upgraded to the vf52 i went with a solid larger tmic and now that i run my td06 20g i am running a fmic.

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
what other year/model do subaru ran on there vf52? i know that 2008+ wrx's has it

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
155 Posts
For me it was not the fact that the endtanks come uncrimped but the fact of how small they are and how hot mine would get at the track. As soon as i upgraded to the vf52 i went with a solid larger tmic and now that i run my td06 20g i am running a fmic.
Yeah, my car is just a daily so the TMIC is not as critical as a car on the track. I guess heat soak's always gonna be an issue with a TMIC even with the PW. Heat tape, wrap, and water spray would go a long way.

I have a friend who runs a fan on his stock TMIC and it works very well! haha.

·
Registered
2010 Forester STI 6-speed
900 Posts
OP - To answer your initial question directly, I have seen more than a few people doing a Process West or STI TMIC, 800CC injectors, Blouch 380XT or similar size turbo, up/downpipe, boost controller, Access Port and DW65C fuel pump get a very safe 280-300whp/330 WTQ on 92 octane @ 17psi (+ tune).

That being said, that build is in the $3500 - $5000 range depending on if you get new or used parts, install yourself or have installed etc... and much beyond that, you're in the "start saving for your rebuild" arena.

Lots of variables can change that equation ^^, but I think it's a safe baseline for what you're looking for.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts