Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just want ur opinion on going stage 2.(turboback, intake, AP, tune & blow off valve). is it safe in your engine in the long run? How many miles of you guys running on your Stage 2 setup on the SH? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
You mean a custom tune or the COBB map? If you mean a custom tune, sell the intake and blowoff valve and buy a turbo and TMIC instead, well worth the trouble. TD04 on a Forester is like a model in a rain coat.

Stan

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
custom tune using a Cobb AP, so no intake and blow off valve, instead go vf52?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I mean, you could use the intake and blow off valve, but will they make things better? SRIs will make your intake temperatures inconsistent and some tuners would not even touch a car with one. Many blow off valves are crap quality, and even good ones are used on either cars pushing very high boost, or just for sound.

VF52, good TMIC and tune is all you need, you could even use the stock downpipe. Think about it, that's how the STi is set up and it works..

Stan

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok that makes sense. thanks a lot guys. whats a good Tmic not too expensive ones

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
OEM STi, haven't played with SH so I'm not sure what fits (stock WRX?). Basically, whatever is OEM with the takeoff turbo you use. They will work better than cheap Ebay stuff.

Key to longivity on Subarus is to keep it very simple. Find a good tuner, keep boost target around 14-15psi and enjoy the ride.

Stan

·
Registered
2013 XT Auto
127 Posts
OEM STi, haven't played with SH so I'm not sure what fits (stock WRX?). Basically, whatever is OEM with the takeoff turbo you use. They will work better than cheap Ebay stuff.

Key to longivity on Subarus is to keep it very simple. Find a good tuner, keep boost target around 14-15psi and enjoy the ride.

Stan
No need aftermarket the wrx tmic is same as the xt. Never go with a bov always stick with a recirculating bpv for a subaru. And the stock plastic one will only take about 20psi. And won't gain much from intake besides being able to hear the turbo more.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
VF52 will work with the stock TMIC but it would love a bigger one, like the stock STI.

If you can add a downpipe and have a good tuner, judging from all the reading Ive been doing around here I think you'll love the mods.

Altho, with a bigger TMIC you might be on the way to maxing out the stock injectors, and when you talk about injectors the fuel pump is usually a quick follower...

·
Registered
2013 XT Auto
127 Posts
Yes it works with stock but as said a larger would be better. My car currently is vf52 with just a catless turboback and made 300. Bigger intercooler and fuel mods are next on the list.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
OP mentioned "safe" and "long run", 300whp on a VF52 is not safe, just throwing it out there. If you want 300whp, the proper way to get it is with at least an 18G and injectors. Not bashing, just giving a heads up. East Coast fuel may be better, or dynos read higher, around here 300whp on a VF turbo and pump gas is not possible safely.

Find a good tuner, explain them your goals and budget (be honest about both), listen to their advice.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
I'm running 18.5 psi on a vf52 with stock tmic

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Manual
219 Posts
OP mentioned "safe" and "long run", 300whp on a VF52 is not safe, just throwing it out there. If you want 300whp, the proper way to get it is with at least an 18G and injectors. Not bashing, just giving a heads up. East Coast fuel may be better, or dynos read higher, around here 300whp on a VF turbo and pump gas is not possible safely.

Find a good tuner, explain them your goals and budget (be honest about both), listen to their advice.

Stan
Aren't you guys on ACN91? A tune on 93 would surely yield more power.

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
300whp on stock injectors and tmic is not possible not bashing just saying. I made 333whp and over 400wtq on my vf52 on e85 and 24psi with 1000cc injectors and every bolt on mod pushing it to the limit and ran a 12.7 in the 1/4 mile. The vf52 is a great turbo and flows around the same as a large 16g and plenty of people are making 300-350 whp on these things but its not possible with out a butt load of supporting mods.

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
Also stage 2 is very lack luster and was fun for about an hour. If you are going to do it get a vf52 and a turbo back exhaust and a good tune and call it a day. You will have a lot more usable power instead of the 9psi that the td04 tapers to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
can i do turboback and a good tune for a year, then run a vf52 later?

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just cant find a good price on vf52 yet. did you guys know if a 2004 wrx catless downpipe fits on th SH, i just asked cuz my friend is giving it away and it looks the same as the 08 wrx downpipe then again i may be wrong.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts