Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I visited the guys at Precision Performance is NJ and had a Cobb turboback exhausty system and stage 2 flash done on MY06FXT and I couldn't be happier. I hear lots of mixed reviews on the performance gains from stage 2 but I have not benn disappointed. I think most people expect too much, thinking they are going to get get ridiculuos results from such a simple modification. First off the craftmanship of the Cobb exhaust is impeccable. The weld are beautiful and the system matces up perfectly, looks great and sounds even better. Performance wise, it's not like getting a larger turbo but the effects can most certainly be felt. 1st gear blows by so fast both before stage two and after that its hard to detect real gains but 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears pull so much harder. Peak boost comes on much ealrier and the car pulls right to the redline. Before stage two 2nd gear would bogg slightly if I didn't make a perfect shift but now the car rockets forward without hesitation. I just wanted to share some positiove opinions of stage 2. Sorry not evryone has been as happy with it as I am. Also, the guys and Precision Peformance were a pleasure to deal with and I will definetly be returning there to get my swaybars installed in the spring.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The install cost 112.50. I ordered the parts from Cobb's site and had them sent to the shop. I was done in about 2 1/2 hours

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a question.

Is it a waste of money to only get a downpipe and go to stage2 and keep the stock catback section, just because the wife won't tolerate the increase in noise?

Will the gain, if any, justify the investment?

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Another happy COBB S2 owner

I also have the Cobb Stage 2 modifications on my 05 FXT. I have the AT option (couldn't find a 5-speed XT). I love what it's done for my car. The car pulls like crazy under acceleration, is MUCH more drivable and feels really quick. I've noticed that I actually get a bit better gas mileage. The COBB turbo back exhaust sound very nice and isn't overwhelming or annoying. The cabin noise from the exhaust at freeway speeds is hardly noticable, UNTIL you accelerate - then you notice.

Great workmanship and extremely well crafted. The whole system fits beautifully and looks stock. I did all the work myself and it wasn't difficult. Make sure you get the urethane hangers. If you have a trailer hitch installed, then get the longer hangers from Kartboy. Keeps your tailpipe from bangin on the hitch.

Well worth the price -

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering what the benefit of the urethane hangers is? The exhaust matched up perfectly with the stock hangers but I could be missing something and if I am I would like to rectify the issue.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
irongrady said:
I was wondering what the benefit of the urethane hangers is? The exhaust matched up perfectly with the stock hangers but I could be missing something and if I am I would like to rectify the issue.
Urethane hangers will keep it from swaying as the stock hangers are prone to when upgrading the exhaust...get the hangers;)

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
irongrady said:
Before stage two 2nd gear would bogg slightly if I didn't make a perfect shift
That is EXACTLY how my 06 FXT behaves in second! I'm glad this power mod works for you.

A question, if you don't mind - How does the exhaust sound from the interior? How much louder is it from stock? I've been looking at Cobb's as well, but I dreaded the droning from aftermarket systems. I have a Gibson for my Tacoma, and it's driving me nuts as it gets older.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
SKSTI said:
That is EXACTLY how my 06 FXT behaves in second! I'm glad this power mod works for you.

A question, if you don't mind - How does the exhaust sound from the interior? How much louder is it from stock? I've been looking at Cobb's as well, but I dreaded the droning from aftermarket systems. I have a Gibson for my Tacoma, and it's driving me nuts as it gets older.

I would also like to know this. I had a Cobb Stage 2 on my WRX with an STi muffler so I knew that it wasn't going to be too loud or drone on the highway. Would love some opinions of it.

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Cobb Stage 2 - interior noise

I'd say the interior noise is definitely noticable - but very tolerable. Frankly the G900 tires make more road noise than the exhaust. What I notice once I'm at cruising speed on the freeway - the interior noise is from the wind and tires - the exhaust is very quite.

Most of the interior noise is when you accelerate - and that's still not bad.

The Cobb website has a link that has video and audio (interior and exterior) of the turboback exhaust.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
no drone at highway speeds at all with the cobb/stromung, in fact its a little quiet for my liking (coming from a catless wrx w/HKS hi power exhaust)

thread hijack:

anybody go from stage 2 to the cobb VF39 map and notice much of a difference? I'm getting my VF39 soon and was wondering if I should run the AP for a few weeks until I get used to that power, then install the VF39?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
DOHCammin said:
no drone at highway speeds at all with the cobb/stromung, in fact its a little quiet for my liking (coming from a catless wrx w/HKS hi power exhaust)

thread hijack:

anybody go from stage 2 to the cobb VF39 map and notice much of a difference? I'm getting my VF39 soon and was wondering if I should run the AP for a few weeks until I get used to that power, then install the VF39?
I am pretty sure you will see a huge difference in power.;)

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
DOHCammin said:

thread hijack:

Good grief! Of course you should go ahead with stage 2 until the VF39 is installed! It'll be one of the best 30 minutes of modding you'll do. :)

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
Good grief! Of course you should go ahead with stage 2 until the VF39 is installed! It'll be one of the best 30 minutes of modding you'll do. :)
it took 15 min to install an AP on my wrx ;)

BTW, I found a pretty good deal on AP's so PM me and I'll clue you in!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts