Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this set for a good price...

I have not done anything to my suspension on my car (totally stock on the FXT)

I know there are many problems if I don't upgrade the rear endlinks and such.

If I buy the poltec adjustable rear endlinks do I need to purchase these also? http://www.cobbtuning.com/pr-slidermount.html

I talked to Northwest Tan before subaruforester.com shut down and he told me to get new lateral links and the Perrin Endlinks (he thought these were the best and strongest... he dealt with the poltecs and they broke on him) I don't have $500 to buy lateral links...

Should I just get Perrin endlinks and the slidermounts that Cobb offers?...

any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

F

·
0 Posts
Lateral links are not necessary. New endlinks are a good idea as the stockers tend to shear off with a bigger bar and hard driving.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I've seen those mounts and in theory they look to be a good solution to endlink alignment when using an adjustable bar. For proper alignment the endlinks should be close to vertical so the stress from the swaybar is pushing on the links in their mechanically strongest position. This becomes more of an issue when you go to the stiffer positions where the link is forced to lean forward.

Haven't seen many people flocking to those so maybe the theory isn't all that important especially if the links are beefier to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
FXT said:
Lateral links are not necessary. New endlinks are a good idea as the stockers tend to shear off with a bigger bar and hard driving.
Your rear end links might turn into macaroni or dislocate at the socket but they seldom shear. The part that you will definitely end up breaking at your current ride height is the end link MOUNT on your lateral link. This is the tab that is welded onto the stock lateral link.

Here is what the STi lateral link will look like with the Perrin end links and Cobb bar. Notice how the STi lateral link is one solid machined piece vs. the weld tab on the stock lateral link.

Cheaper solutions:
Lower your Forester.
Hub sway bar mounts (STi, Pol-Tec...).
Mo-Boost weldment pieces (out of production?).

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
AChan10 said:
If I buy the poltec adjustable rear endlinks do I need to purchase these also? http://www.cobbtuning.com/pr-slidermount.html

I talked to Northwest Tan before subaruforester.com shut down and he told me to get new lateral links and the Perrin Endlinks (he thought these were the best and strongest... he dealt with the poltecs and they broke on him) I don't have $500 to buy lateral links...

Should I just get Perrin endlinks and the slidermounts that Cobb offers?...

any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
First the Cobb sliders are nice. They work well with any adjustable bar to keep the endlinks perpendicular to the bar. I have them on an adjustable 24mm+ solid Whiteline STI rear swaybar. However be warned that you will only get the proper swaybar bracket and bushing if you order it with a Cobb swaybar set. If you order it separately you will need to specify that you want two swaybar brackets (the u shaped things that hold the bushing on the swaybar) two bushings and and 4 bolts to attach everything. It will cost another $23.

I am using the Poltec endlinks. I have just started using them so I hope they don't break. Mine are however the hub mounted style that are aluminum, not the ones that attach directly to the lateral link. I know that Poltec has had a couple of revisions to the endlink bearings.

However, I will warn you that all the non-adjustable endlinks cause the enlinks to bend side to side relative to the Cobb bars. Like this \ /. Whiteline has actually come out with new adjustable endlinks. Hotchkis has a set as well. Here is a thread discussing this issue:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897338&highlight=swaybar

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts