Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this squeal sound coming from ( I think transmission ). It sound like a low pitch squeal like from a loose belt ) If I put the car in park rev the engine no squeal, normal drive no squeal just during passing gear on express way or fast acceleration. My Subie has 83,000 miles on it but I had a rebuilt trans put in around 32,000. ( long story ). I checked the trans level it's ok so is it a trans issue or engine issue? I have not yet change the trans fluid since rebuilt. I was going to do a flush and fill but have heard that it's not wise to flush just change. Any one have any feed back or ideas.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have this squeal sound coming from ( I think transmission ). It sound like a low pitch squeal like from a loose belt ) If I put the car in park rev the engine no squeal, normal drive no squeal just during passing gear on express way or fast acceleration. My Subie has 83,000 miles on it but I had a rebuilt trans put in around 32,000. ( long story ). I checked the trans level it's ok so is it a trans issue or engine issue? I have not yet change the trans fluid since rebuilt. I was going to do a flush and fill but have heard that it's not wise to flush just change. Any one have any feed back or ideas.
Ok I didn't hear it the first time but I did it again and rev the engine in neutral and was able to hear the squeal. It's very low pitch but present. Now question is what could cause a squeal only when accelerating fast. Normal start up is fine and normal drive is fine. Is this maybe a stretched belt? The belts are about 50,000 miles on it. I had it replaced same time as tranny.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Do you have a auto or manual transmission?

How do the belts look? Also are they Subaru belts? I would try to adjust the belts and see if the noise is gone after that

·
Registered
2003 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a auto and I had the belts changed by a Subaru dealer 50,000 miles back. Maybe about time for some new ones huh? I'm going to take a look and see how they look

1 - 4 of 4 Posts