Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the squeaking coming from the HVAC fan in my '03 2.5X just got past my annoyance threshold. :-(

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it fixable? Can the dealer do anything about it?

The fan used to squeak only on the "2" setting. Now, it squeaks on "1", "3" and "4". (Although, on "4" the fan is loud enough to mask most of the noise.)

Suggestions, anyone?

-R.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
The fan is very easy to remove, just three phillips head screws. It is under the glove box. I'll bet you have a leaf or something similar stuck in there. I'll try and find a shot of it to add to this post.

edit: this is the best I could find on short notice

Number 9 is the fan.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SuperRü said:
The fan is very easy to remove, just three phillips head screws. [...].
Thanks for the exploded view. It looks straightforward to take apart, but looks like it will still take at least two hours which I don't have right now.

Also, yesterday the temperature shot up to 78F in Maryland and the fan stopped squeaking. This makes me think it is a lubrication issue rather than stuck debris. Anybody been in there before? are there parts that can be lubed??

-Richard

·
Registered
377 Posts
Most times the noise is result of worn bearings allowing the armature to wobble and contact the field magnets. It can get pretty annoying. These motors are not repairable as there is no provision for brush re-installation. In any case, the worn bearing and support cause the shaft to wobble and wear new brushes very rapidly. I found this out the hard way.

good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resolved! The dealer replaced the blower motor and I didn't even complain much. :) Hopefully, the squeak won't come back.

Long version: it's been getting warmer in Maryland and I noticed that the A/C isn't doing very much to cool down the passenger cabin. I look down at the odometer: 35,700 miles. I check the date: 5 days to the 3 year anniversary. If it's low on freon, no big deal, but what if it's the compressor? I quickly make an appointment with Russel Subaru. When I brought the car in, I mentioned on the side that the fan squeaks. I thought I would just get it in writing before the warranty expired. If the motor fails later, I could prove that I complained about it before the warranty was done for. I even said, "it's not making the noise today" because it's been quiet all week. I fully expected them to say, "We don't hear it either."

Well, they kept the car the whole day and the new service writer "Dora" couldn't say what for. I thought it was taking a real long time to recharge the freon. They must have been waiting for the blower part.

When I pick up the car, the write up said
REPLACED BLOWER MOTOR COMPLETED B014-07/C010-101
What the heck is "B014-07/C010-101"??? It doesn't look like a part number. A Technical Service Bulletin?? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
The number may be the procedure or charge code for the work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts