Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately(the problem has gotten worse as it's gotten colder) my 1999 Subaru Forester has been making on and off squeaking sounds mostly when parked or driving slow. Usually when I start the car it squeaks for a little bit and then after I drive for a bit it mostly stops. The steering also is stiff for the first 30 seconds or so. I put some belt dressing on the belts and it seemed to improve the stiff steering but the squeaking is still there consistently.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
Power Sterring belt. When was it replaced last? Try driving slow, and making a really deep/sharp turn, and I mean turning wheel all the way to the left, or right and going in a circle. If the sqealing gets louder/stranger sounds come on - then it is most likeley the power sterring belt.

1999 Forester - you should have replaced the belts at about 95k/100k interval, do you know if it has been done?

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that next time I drive but that sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I don't think the belt has been replaced(bought it used 5 months ago) and its got some 81,000 miles on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts