Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello to all members! I am a new member (having just got a Subie Forester), and would greatly appreciate input.
My SF (2005 XS) generates a strange squeaking sound when I am driving on the highway at ~110-120 kph and a large vehicle (like a road train/ truck) goes past. It sounds as if it is the lateral movement of the body over the chassis (don't know if that can happen).
Has anyone experienced this? If so, what should I do?
Cheers.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Amethyst-
It could be most anything, my best bet though is that is wind noise from an incomplete windshield seal on early Foresters (SF). You may also encounter it at superlegal speeds (say 150 kph and above).
Fix? Have windshield technician apply sealant. Shouldn't be too expensive. Or stay below 100 kph...
-Quick

Hello to all members! I am a new member (having just got a Subie Forester), and would greatly appreciate input.
My SF (2005 XS) generates a strange squeaking sound when I am driving on the highway at ~110-120 kph and a large vehicle (like a road train/ truck) goes past. It sounds as if it is the lateral movement of the body over the chassis (don't know if that can happen).
Has anyone experienced this? If so, what should I do?
Cheers.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amethyst-
It could be most anything, my best bet though is that is wind noise from an incomplete windshield seal on early Foresters (SF). You may also encounter it at superlegal speeds (say 150 kph and above).
Fix? Have windshield technician apply sealant. Shouldn't be too expensive. Or stay below 100 kph...
-Quick
Many thanks Quicksilver! Will give it a go.
Thanks again.
Amethyst

·
Registered
2006 forester
2 Posts
Had same problem

I have had this happen on my 06 forester. I am pretty sure it is just the air pressure from the passing truck making the high pitched squeak probably arround the drivers door seal.
It only happens at higher speeds and when large vehicles pass and you can also feel the wind rush against the car.
I had a Ford Taurus that was particularly bad for this and I complained about this many times when it whent in for a service. Eventualy I found out there was a service bulitin to fix this with a modified door seal and had to ask for it to be done and they replaced it under warranty (Ford).
The Taurus was pretty bad and I think the forester is very minor and only happens rarely to me any way.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts