Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of hijacking another thread, I purchased an SPT heat shield because my stupid dealer threw the stock one out.

Do I need to get another stock one?

Please let me know. I already installed the SPT one by itself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
943 Posts
no you don't 'need' the stock one but if you had/have one it's just extra benificial! i have mine with a stock shield as well to keep heat down! Painted the back side (turbo side) with flame proof paint to try as an added bonus for help.... no data on it though as far as if it actually helps or not... ha ha

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no you don't 'need' the stock one but if you had/have one it's just extra benificial! i have mine with a stock shield as well to keep heat down! Painted the back side (turbo side) with flame proof paint to try as an added bonus for help.... no data on it though as far as if it actually helps or not... ha ha
That is a good idea...the flame proof paint. If it does keep heat down by running both, I will just go to the bone yard and get another one when I find time.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
943 Posts
just DON'T do the baking part!! when you use the flame proof paint it calls you to cure the paint.... ie. bake it in the oven for three cycles, three temps at three periods of time... so just paint it and let it dry for about 24hrs then just bolt it on, the heat cycle from the turbo will cure it!
this is the color and brand i used: bought it from Advanced Auto Parts
VHT SP102 - VHT Flameproof Coatings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
word lol only defect that comes out of baking as i found out is you basiclly melt the SPT logo ha ha DOH! :chair:
I am glad that you found that out for me! I promise you that I would have had the DOH moment myself so don't feel bad! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Need is such a strong word...lol

Ideally, you should keep every little bit of heat energy in the exhaust until after it passes through the turbo. Without going into the details, it boosts efficencies and response time of the turbo.

And in that the IC is right next to the turbo, and the more heat transferred to it, the lower the efficencies.

So, my reply to your question of need is no, you don't need it, but you should do everything that is reasonable to keep your turbo exhaust hot and your intake/IC cool.

I personally just run the stock heat shield with a custom made turbo blanket. Nothing wrong with the SPT shield, I just modified my car to the point that I couldn't mount it...

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Need is such a strong word...lol

Ideally, you should keep every little bit of heat energy in the exhaust until after it passes through the turbo. Without going into the details, it boosts efficencies and response time of the turbo.

And in that the IC is right next to the turbo, and the more heat transferred to it, the lower the efficencies.

So, my reply to your question of need is no, you don't need it, but you should do everything that is reasonable to keep your turbo exhaust hot and your intake/IC cool.

I personally just run the stock heat shield with a custom made turbo blanket. Nothing wrong with the SPT shield, I just modified my car to the point that I couldn't mount it...

NEED
:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts