Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Managed to get a test ride with a Tein coilover setup - Way too firm for my liking.

I've contacted Bilstein for previous part numbers for anything other than the B4 series of shocks they currently market for the SG. I'm not holding my breath.

@fpan Would you have uploaded the graph via PhotoBucket etc? I can't seem to find a previous post with the graph you mention in - Lots of spring rate posts though to give me somewhere to start.
What ARB were they using with the tein set up , this can make a big difference . tein has some of the softest spring rates around …. so im led to believe .

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Managed to get a test ride with a Tein coilover setup - Way too firm for my liking.

I've contacted Bilstein for previous part numbers for anything other than the B4 series of shocks they currently market for the SG. I'm not holding my breath.

@fpan Would you have uploaded the graph via PhotoBucket etc? I can't seem to find a previous post with the graph you mention in - Lots of spring rate posts though to give me somewhere to start.
I've contacted Bilstein Europe in the past regarding the B8 yellows that were available for the FSTi but they told me these are not available in Europe.

I've managed to find a selller in Japan via yahoo auctions and in order to get the discounted price I had to send my OEM units to Japan for an exchange (it looks like Bilstein convertes the OEM units?) but by the time I decided to purchase them they were NLA.

Perhaps worth keeping an eye on yahoo auctions for a second hand set of yellow Bilsteins, FSTi specific and get those refurbished in UK.

It must have been in photobucket but it's a long time and I am not sure.

I've found the original e-mail that Corneringforce had sent me where the pic was embedded in the mail body but it isn't visible anymore :(

I'll have a look in photobucket and an old HD when I get a chance.

For what it's worth, I've also had a ride in a car with Teins and found them too hard for my liking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not exactly like for like in terms of vehicle but I have tried Bilstein B14 (coilovers) not the on a previous car (BMW MINI R53) and they were not great on very bumpy roads, literally bouncing off the tarmac, ride height only and the preset damping was not right for that car. The lack of negative front camber (extra pressue on driveshafts) and the harshness of these actually destoyed my driveshafts, I suspect they would have been great on a track however the car needed to do both.

Other dampers I tried out on that car were the Meister R, that was a long time ago and they have been revised a lot since then, they were also very bouncy when you went low, not so bad if at standard ride height but I discounted them based on seeing the state of the year old ones on other cars, again they may have improved since, so look into their current anti corrosion tech.

The next few I tried were KW V1, KW V2 and KW Clubsport. KW V1 were absolutely sublime for a street car, how they got them to ride that way on that chassis is just black magic seriously. The were a little two soft for a track day/fast road car, the V2's which had rebound adjustment pretty much solved some of that issue but it would have been nice to have compression too. Then I tried clubsport, 80% of the ride quality of of V2's when set to softer settings and all of the adjustment required for getting what you need on track, plus they came with camber plates as standard. If this didn't win it for me it was the corrosion resistance they use, I picked up a 2 year old set of clubsports that had 30K on them and had them refurbished (internals), the damper bodies externally looked amazing nothing was seized. This was consistent with other cars I'd seen.

The difference between KW and the others I tried were KW were based on a twintube design, everything else was Mono. Maybe with the limited travel on the MINI the twintube provided a better ride by design. Something to consider at least, but if the Tein twintubes were too harsh for you then I guess that theory needs some work as I was going to go with the Flex Z when the time came, hmm. :)

Not sure if KW do anything that fit on the fSTi but I'd consider looking into it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you can wait a while, I have in the garage a set of FSTi pink & RSR TI2000 springs, along with some very good condition pre-facelift FSti inverted dampers, which i'll be fitting once i've regreased them & trimmed the bumpstops (the inverted dampers seem to have a fair bit of stiction with that horrible yellow grease/margarine they come filled with, which I suspect might contribute to some ride jigglyness.. I'll post my thoughts of each compared with the OEM setup; may help with your decision.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@asdrewq I would be very interested to hear your thoughts comparing setups (y)

So far I've read lots of positive thoughts on the Koni shocks/inserts but no one seems to have compared them directly to Bilstein equivalents.....

Bilstein have finally got back to me and said they only have the B4 OE spec shock listed for any 2005 Forester. Seems I'm not going to find a B6 Adjustable 10 for the Forester sadly.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
8 Participants
TMX
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing