Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching for some time on the boards but there are an overwhelming amount of threads on the topic and I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer.

My question: What springs can I run with WRX Kyb gr-2 sedan struts that will allow me to run a 225/50/17 tire? I have 17” JDM Legacy wheels.

These will go on my 2004 Forester

I'm looking for anyone running a similar setup to chime in.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id look @ some jdm pinks for starters.
Do you know the (additonal) drop on these? I'm not sure about the clearence I want to run 225/50/17 tires.

I basically want to go as low as I can using that tire size without any rubbing issues.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
How can springs affect rubbing? If it's increased camber you just dial it out with bolts. Now wheel width and offset I can see which you don't mention.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can springs affect rubbing? If it's increased camber you just dial it out with bolts. Now wheel width and offset I can see which you don't mention.
Yeah you are right, I guess it'd be more a matter of the tire rubbing against the fender which with the offset on these wheels I should be fine.

Thanks for the input. I think I will go with H&R OE Sport Spring Set for the WRX from tirerack.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I had 17x7 53+ offset Prodrives with 225/50/17 Falken 912s and it didn't rub at Impreza STi takeoff height. The struts' valving will dictate springs you can run, OEM STi are borderline IMO.

EDIT: wait, they are 17x7.5? You will be very close to rubbing in the front then.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had 17x7 53+ offset Prodrives with 225/50/17 Falken 912s and it didn't rub at Impreza STi takeoff height. The struts' valving will dictate springs you can run, OEM STi are borderline IMO.

EDIT: wait, they are 17x7.5? You will be very close to rubbing in the front then.

Stan
Thanks Stan!

I may have to down size the tires a bit then. I'm going to check the back of the wheels when I get home this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
225/50 should be a good size and it may clear without problems, it's just pretty close. On a 7.5" rim it shouldn't bulge too much so if the rim clears you may be okay. Check with people that are running '04 BBSs, those should be same dimensions as wheels you are looking to run.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
225/50 should be a good size and it may clear without problems, it's just pretty close. On a 7.5" rim it shouldn't bulge too much so if the rim clears you may be okay. Check with people that are running '04 BBSs, those should be same dimensions as wheels you are looking to run.

Stan
It turns out they are 17x7 +53 offset. I have other wheels I may consider.

I appreciate all the feedback.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts