Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the sport grill and like that a lot more than the stock one. I'm thinking of getting one for my '10 Forester, but I haven't found an install guide online yet and the dealer wants over 100 bucks to put it in. Anyone have success installing one? Cheapest price for one is around $200, unless you guys know where to find a better deal. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I haven't put the sports grille in but I did just replace mine with a stock grille painted flat black (IMO I like it better than the sports grille) and it isn't hard at all. I'm pretty sure there's a writeup on here with pictures but all you need to do is remove the plastic clips holding the top of the grille on then get under the car and take out all the plastic clips holding the bumper on underneath and along the fender well, you can see all but 2 very easily, the last 2 are tucked just out of site in the very corners under the bumper. The you just need to grab the end of the bumper and pull it out from under the headlamp. It simply clips in under the headlamp so don't be afraid to give a gentle tug till it comes out. Next it's just 6 or 8 screws holding in the grille to the bumper.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
The "old" link to the installation guide library seems to have gone away. :confused: Here's a new link: Subaru Technical Information System

Type "sports grill" (with quotation marks) into the forum Search engine to find several hits on installing the sports grill.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
oh nooooo that site did go away. Thanks a million crewzer for the new site, I would have cried the next time I tried to go to the original site to find stuff and it wasn't there

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Considering how much I've learned from this site, I'm always glad to help where I can. I too will miss the old library...:tissue:

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2014 FORESTER CVT AUTO
9 Posts
Got a SPORTS GRILL for my 2009 FORESTER on EBAY. $229, free shipping. I just never got used to that chrome grill. Very easy to install. Instructions come in the box. There are about 20 pop clips. (having the tool helped) Make sure you unplug your fog lights before you drop the bumper cover, and REMEMBER to plug them back in before putting the bumper cover back on. Total job took about 30 minutes.. .(working slowly and cautiously). Put a big blanket on the floor so you don't scratch your bumper cover. I'll bet I could do it in 20 minutes next time. Totally changed the appearance of my Forester, and I love the look. Perfect fit. Go for it!

·
Registered
2010 FX Premium
29 Posts
I installed my sports grille with no issues, and I modified it prior to installation. Made it look much better grille4.jpg

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
Got a SPORTS GRILL for my 2009 FORESTER on EBAY. $229, free shipping. I just never got used to that chrome grill. Very easy to install. Instructions come in the box. There are about 20 pop clips. (having the tool helped) Make sure you unplug your fog lights before you drop the bumper cover, and REMEMBER to plug them back in before putting the bumper cover back on. Total job took about 30 minutes.. .(working slowly and cautiously). Put a big blanket on the floor so you don't scratch your bumper cover. I'll bet I could do it in 20 minutes next time. Totally changed the appearance of my Forester, and I love the look. Perfect fit. Go for it!

^ x2

[/IMG]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed my sports grille with no issues, and I modified it prior to installation. Made it look much better View attachment 24598

Don, got more pictures of the front (from a lower angle) and side? Looks like you got the sport grille with the bumper guard; interesting combo.

Edit: upon closer observation, I believe you have the stock front bumper...It was hard for me to tell from that angle late last night.
Does anyone have the bumper guard with the sports grille?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
63 Posts
Well worth the money for the improved look it gives. Like everybody says...either use the technical instruction website above or depending on where you buy it from they give you the instructions. Very simple install (i'm not a mechanical guy at all). Used a screwdriver to pop the 8 (I think) pop rivits out from the bottom. I don't have fog lights so I didn't have to worry of unplugging them though that step is in the directions also. Then remove the top 6 (I think) pop rivits.

Remove the 2 (1 each from front wheel well) mini pop rivits. The bumper won't fall off becasue its held on by...well I don't know what to call it but just pry with your hands the front bumper (its the black and colored part that is under the headlights). Lay a blanket down so it doesn't scratch anything. ***Also watch your liscense plate/bracket. Mine bent up when I layed it on the ground. Remove like 6 screws that hold the OEM grilel on. Toss on new one and toss all back on. Pop the pop rivits back on and ***watch the molding/alignment of the lips? (again for a loss of words) so that what was inside the bumper is in and out is out (pop rivits go in easier).

Its all simple, easily a 1 man job, the pop rivits on the bottom may be hard to remove due to dirt and junk clogging them up. Sorry for the long post...watching world cup and looked up and realized I just typed out the entire instructions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts