Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Time for the Front Lip

The final part of my exterior mods, for now at least. I knew i wanted a black front lip, ideally i wanted the unpainted STI part, but at $270 plus $287 for shipping it was just too much coin.

So i went for the ikon motorsports copy version, bought from Amazon at a quarter of the price. Painted with some Krylon flat black and a genuine STI emblem in the center, its looks exactly what i wanted.
The fit was actually really good, held with 3M tape on all the upper seams and 4 brackets screwed into the bumper below, its on there pretty good. There was thin rubber trim to attach to the top edges where it seals to the bumper, but that stuff was a pain to keep attached and straight, i only used it in a few places.

The only really big challenge was mounting it with the OEM wheel arch moldings in place, i had to cut the lip a little on each corner to account for the extra plastic thickness. But no biggie, since its a copy lip it was an easy decision to trim that over the moldings

Front View

Closer view after i had used some matt-black silicone on the edges around the foglight and wheel arch molding, still needs a bit of clean up after the silicone is dry, but its looking pretty neat now. the thin rubber strips i used remain a little wavy, but its okay

the trim around the wheel arch molding

profile shot

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Exterior Detail

Looking good after hand wash, clay-bar, polish and 2 coats of wax at AJ's in San Jose

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Vent LED lights

Finally got these installed. a chance to use those fake vents for something marginally more useful.

The GCS LEDs came with no instructions, and i couldn't find an under-hood fuse to tap that made them work as i liked.
eventually i just tapped into the wires going to the LED part of the Drivers side headlight, black for Gnd and the light blue for +ve (red on the kit wire). i also connected the light green to the green wire in the kit, but that didn't seem to do anything, i didn't pursue it further at this time
so now the vent LED's are on when the Headlight LED's are in DRL mode, then when the headlights are turned on, the vent LED's are off. I didn't photo those cases, but some photos below from when i was testing.
The fit of the part is great, very easy snap-in to install and look OEM.
when on, the LED's are a bit whiter than the headlight LED's, so it does look a bit aftermarket, but its okay

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Vent LED Lights 2

Finally got a photo of how it looks in DRL mode. I do think it would look better if those GCS parts used a warmer white LED, but it is what it is

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
20mm RSB

I'd had a good experience with bigger sways on my STI, so decided to try the 20mm RSB for the FXT.
Ordered the kit as below from an online vendor, but the bar arrived quite scratched up, looked almost like a used part or a part someone had tried to install (clumsily).

But it looked like it wasn't damaged beyond cosmetically, straight & true, so rather than bother with returns i just decided to paint it with some Rustoleum that i had in the garage, ended up looking quite nice in Sail Blue

After install i noticed no real change in ride comfort, and i feel some improvement in cornering flatness & handling, so overall not bad for $90 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
LED bulbs

Finished up my exterior LED's with the reversing lights and turn signals. All found and purchased from Amazon
i bought the 7440 rear signals that have the built in resistors, so can avoid hyperflash.
But it stated you couldn't install 2 pairs on the turn circuit. so i still had to buy and install the diode dynamics CF18 relay to support the front signal LED's. Man, that stock relay was a pita to get to and remove, i ended up using a loop of stiff wire to lasso it and yank it out from its hiding place :laugh:
interestingly the front bulbs are 7444NA switchbacks, although that function is not used on these 2017 lights, so i only see the orange flash, no white. maybe a future project to enable that somehow

7444NA front switchback turn signals

921 reversing lights

7440 rear turn signals

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
245's on STI BBS

Finally got my rims and tires on today, very happy with how it looks :grin2:

Picked up some clean 2012 STI BBS rims, had them powdercoated a kind of dark silver/titanium grey color

Mounted with Yokohama Advan sport A/S 245/50-18's. beefy

Compared to an STI tire :laugh:

The critical part of the puzzle, 20mm adapters from factionfab

And the finished results, good fit, a slight poke but it works well

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
116 Posts
Finally got my rims and tires on today, very happy with how it looks :grin2:

Picked up some clean 2012 STI BBS rims, had them powdercoated a kind of dark silver/titanium grey color

Mounted with Yokohama Advan sport A/S 245/50-18's. beefy

Compared to an STI tire :laugh:

The critical part of the puzzle, 20mm adapters from factionfab

And the finished results, good fit, a slight poke but it works well

Nice!! Looking good. Kinda reminds me of my '18 XT in QBP lol

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not too sure about the wheel well guards and how they make the wheels/tires look... Small.
Yeah, i see that i the photo too, somehow they look kinda small diameter wise, but in person it somehow looks better. its weird, maybe the photo contrast?, but i like the way the guards look in real life.
But for sure, the 19" tS rims would be good look with the right tires. Not gonna happen unless i hit the lotto :laugh:

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
COBB AP stg1

Probably my final mod for a while, been spending way too much on this car that i intended to keep stock. :laugh: but y'know, stg1 is pretty much stock, so here it is...
Picked up a used AP from a 2017 WRX owner, updated firmware & new maps, reflashed with no issues.
Didn't feel much difference so far (damn ACN91), but haven't driven much, ecu is still learning & finding equilibrium

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just some small stuff, a little engine cover painting

And installed my battery tender hard-wire connector

·
Registered
13 forester 2.5 & 14 XT 4eat/ CVT
136 Posts
In for updates!