Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have a sporadic MAF sensor that just happened to start acting up right after I fixed my timing belt jumping issue. I've read quite a few threads on here about faulty MAF's, but none of them have quite my same situation...

My car at around 2500 rpm will stutter slightly when going up a grade or slight hill. (seems like normal MAF issue stuff). At WOT, it'll act like it's missing, and it extremely down on power (again, normal MAF issue symptoms)

--BUT--

If I take half a can of MAF Sensor Cleaner, and spray down the MAF, plug it back in immediately afterwards.... it works PERFECTLY for a about a day or two. Full power is restored, no stuttering, nothing. Then slowly over 2 or 3 days, it starts to degrade again, stuttering, rough engine idle and down on power again. Until I clean it again....then it's fine.

I know all signs point to a faulty MAF, but this just seems a bit odd that it works only after I spray it down with MAF Cleaner? Anyone else have an issue like this, because this just strikes me as bazaar. (not to mention, I'd like some input as I'm sort of weary of spending nearly $200 on a sensor that may/may not be the problem.....and electrics can't be returned).

Thanks.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ I'm using the same brand air-filter that I've been using in the car for the past 30,000 miles, a WIX brand air-filter (paper).

And no, the whole thing is completely clean, so I don't know what I'm cleaning. I focus on spraying off that "bulb" looking sensor itself, as well as in the tubing. I know that when I completely spray it down, the cleaner comes out the top where the connections are.

What I was thinking at first was that it was cooling down the sensor somehow ,but the fact that it works fine for a day or two throws that argument out the window. Seriously, it's baffling to me. I just want to find out why it works fine when I give it a good spray down.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
The reason I ask about the air filter is because I have seen fibers from after market air filters stick on the mass air flow meter and cause problems. Maybe try a subaru air filter? If not you may need test and monitor the output of the mas air flow meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts