Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTEN
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my old ladys 2ltr on a 99 plate(150k). The problem is the brakes are crap, it started last year when i had several attemps to bleed it, seemed ok for a short time.

In the last few weeks the pedal is down to the carpet. Had the brakes apart today no leaks everything seemed as it should, checked the master cylinder seals looked ok. Re bled and the pedal was hard until the engine is started, as soon as vacum is to the brake booster the pedal goes spongy and down to the floor.
Blanked the brake booster off then tried pedal again whilst the engine was running brake pedal hard again.
I'm thinking brake booster but would appreciate any advice before spending my hard earned. Or have i missed something?
cheers!!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
I think you are right that it is the master cylinder and/or brake booster.

Why not replace both?

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTEN
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to my local scrapyard on Sunday and went for pot luck found a master cyl from a 98 impreza.
Fitted it and it seemed ok, problem was bleeding the brakes, until my 14 year old son was enlisted to help.
Brakes still slightly soft but do stop the car, re bleed next w/end. Possibly look at changing hoses for braided.

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTEN
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some time since my last post, changed the front disc's and pads this week.
Not had no real issues with the brakes since, but i suppose you just get used to them.

Anyway pushed the pistons back and and had brake fluid leaking out on both sides.
No signs of leaking prior to removing and pushing the pistons back.

Both bottom sliders on each side seized up which i can only assume had caused the piston seals to leak, causing the piston not push on square.

Pistons in good condition so i ordered a refurb kit from Bigg Red,
cheaper than £100+ quoted for exchange units each.

Brakes now 100% better, kiss the windscreen if not too careful.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTEN
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers i'll try that next week.
Only re-bled the front, as i had the hoses clamped when refurbing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts