Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5XT AWD 4AT ABS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I posted elsewhere on the forum that I've been in the market for some splash guards, but it Rally Armor or the OEM.

I live in Singapore, so the main issue out here is spray during rain, no snow, ice or salt on the roads! I want something to that will stop the spray from messing up the side of the car and also, to a lesser extent protect those behind me - during rain I've noticed that the forester kicks up a hell of a lot of spray :biggrin:

So, like I said it seems the 2 options are RA or OEM. Pros of the OEM are that they look neater and they are $60 cheaper. The question is do they do the job? I'd really appreciate it if any users of the OEM guards can chime in and let me know if they help at all and perhaps even provide a pictue or two to show the coverage.

It seems those who drive in all seasons are very pro the RA flaps, but to me they seem a bit too much for the Singaporean sub-tropical climate? Is this true?

Really appreaciate any inputs on this.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
I had the OEMs, now have RAs, but I have an SG forester. I found the RAs did a much better job. I went with the basics though to save on cost. They don't look quite as good, but work just as well.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
I have the OEM's and they really don't seem to do much. They look good because they are unobtrusive, but do not contain much splash. If I would have known about this site before I bought my Forester and the Rally Armor brand, I would have purchased the RA's.

Regardless, the OEM's are not completely useless, they hold snow to the wheel wells quite readily. Gives me something to kick off while I'm re-fueling.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
The rally armor flaps do a much better job then the factory guards at keeping the side of the car clean but wont stop the spray completely either, its just something your going to have to live with.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,050 Posts
Regardless, the OEM's are not completely useless, they hold snow to the wheel wells quite readily. Gives me something to kick off while I'm re-fueling.
:lol:

On a side note, I have been trying to decide if I want to get the RA's or not...probably will but later.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Get them, you won't be disappointed! Excellent customer service too. I ripped both my rears off on rocks, they replaced them for free! (basics)

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I would be grabbing the more expensive urethane ones if I do jump.
Urethane ones are pricey but definitely the way to go they stay soft, even in below freezing temps and flex so theres no chance of ripping them off.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
893 Posts
I the urethane RA's on my 2010, and they really help to keep the sides cleaner, and help a bit with keeping the gate cleaner, but it will still get fairly dirty, but not as much as with the OEMS. Not really sure about the effect on people following.

·
Registered
2009 2.5XT AWD 4AT ABS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh well, looks like RA seem to be the unanimous choice - guess I should stump up the extra cash and go for them over the OEMs.

Thanks for your inputs all!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Turbo
58 Posts
Hi Guys,

I posted elsewhere on the forum that I've been in the market for some splash guards, but it Rally Armor or the OEM.

I live in Singapore, so the main issue out here is spray during rain, no snow, ice or salt on the roads! I want something to that will stop the spray from messing up the side of the car and also, to a lesser extent protect those behind me - during rain I've noticed that the forester kicks up a hell of a lot of spray :biggrin:

So, like I said it seems the 2 options are RA or OEM. Pros of the OEM are that they look neater and they are $60 cheaper. The question is do they do the job? I'd really appreciate it if any users of the OEM guards can chime in and let me know if they help at all and perhaps even provide a pictue or two to show the coverage.

It seems those who drive in all seasons are very pro the RA flaps, but to me they seem a bit too much for the Singaporean sub-tropical climate? Is this true?

Really appreaciate any inputs on this.

Does anyone one know if the OEMs bottom out, crack or chip paint when off road?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
I am going to make my own as soon as I can locate the right material.

Will get back with pictures when done. NOT going to pay those prices.

( furniture maker/designer/etc.)

·
Registered
2001 Forester
9 Posts
Use a anti sail heavy truck mud flap they are hard plastic and doo a great job, i have some pics posted on here some where, just make your own. You can cut the flaps with a jig saw. Live in north western pa drive threw 10 inches plus snow and you cant rip them off.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
there have been a few made out of these on our local forum.
SYMPLASTICS MUDFLAP STYLES

If you call them they can send you ones with out the rounded corners or the mounting holes to work as a blank slate.

Also use stainless steel hardware or nylon nuts bolts when going through the steel body work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts