Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car (2014 FXT) has factory splash guards installed. However, through this winter, I find that the factory splash guard seems useless. The rear door and rear window are so easy to get mud on, especially the rear camera always has mud on it, which is super annoying.

So, I am asking:
1) Will to install the gorilla mud flap greatly improve the situation?

2) which gorilla to order?

PRODUCT DETAIL | Gorilla Offroad Company

or

Gorilla Plastic and Rubber Group

3) Since I have the factory splash guard on, is it easy to uninstall them? should I go to the dealer? I do not know how they are installed. They came with my car.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
Im not positive as I have a '13, but removing the OEM splash guards are super easy to remove...

AND YES the Gorilla will greatly improve the spash situation. If you are unsure on which ones to get, email Derek at Gorilla and ask him. He is a super good guy and will be more than willing to help. Trust me, he has put up with all my questions so he is sure to help you.

Plus, they are dang sexy compared to the shiny rally crap and the autozone diy ones.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
I would go with the flaps like the first one you posted. Mine are very similar, but from RokBlokz.

Here is a post showing what you will need to replace the factory splash guards with before you put your aftermarket flaps. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/best-mud-flaps-184609/index4.html#post2894817

The above thread is a good source to compare all the options available... not just Gorilla.

For what it is worth, with my Rokblokz on I could not get muddy, no matter how hard I tried, during our offroad meet yesterday.

Here are my RB flaps on... note the stickers are optional and come separate from the flaps.

DSC_0841 by jasplund91, on Flickr

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not positive as I have a '13, but removing the OEM splash guards are super easy to remove...

AND YES the Gorilla will greatly improve the spash situation. If you are unsure on which ones to get, email Derek at Gorilla and ask him. He is a super good guy and will be more than willing to help. Trust me, he has put up with all my questions so he is sure to help you.

Plus, they are dang sexy compared to the shiny rally crap and the autozone diy ones.
How easy? :_( sorry. I checked the guards and do not know how they are installed. The rears seem screwed on, but the fonts have no sign. Should I just pull it off??? I need more information. Sorry.

How can I contact Derek at Gorilla? any more information about his email or phone number?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
How easy? :_( sorry. I checked the guards and do not know how they are installed. The rears seem screwed on, but the fonts have no sign. Should I just pull it off??? I need more information. Sorry.
The OEM gaurds should be held on with the black plastic "rivets" that look like they are holding the wheel well liner to the car. The lower 2 holes in this picture are where the plastic rivets will be... you just need to pull those out using a pair of pliers or flat head screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Note the replacement parts you will need are as follows:

here are the part numbers for the little square fender pieces for those cars that came with OEM splash guards but want to get aftermarket flaps.. Right around $12 each.

Front Fender Garnish
91112SG100
91112SG110

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
go to the DIY section and look up the install instructions for the OEM splash guards. Follow those instructions, just in reverse. I'd recommend not removing them until you have the replacement pieces.

Once you have them OEM splash guards off, the gorilla/rokblokz mud flaps are an easy install. (they're apparently the same company but RokBlokz are cheaper, go figure.) There's NO need to go to the dealer for this, it's very simple.

Also, there are a couple of threads on this very subject in the Utility & Protection section, review those for additional info and for pics.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/best-mud-flaps-184609/

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The OEM gaurds should be held on with the black plastic "rivets" that look like they are holding the wheel well liner to the car. The lower 2 holes in this picture are where the plastic rivets will be... you just need to pull those out using a pair of pliers or flat head screwdriver.

I ordered all the parts including garnish and mud flaps.

Based on your decryption, For the front, to install the mudflap (as well as the garnish), I need to pull those out (all Four, right?) by flat head screwdriver.
And for the rear, there are 3 of them (2 actually are screws).

My question is: Are there any special precedures I need to take care of for pulling out rivets without causing damage to them or just discard them (so just pull)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
My question is: Are there any special precedures I need to take care of for pulling out rivets without causing damage to them or just discard them (so just pull)?
They are pretty tough to get out, so you just have to pull and wiggle them as much as you can. No worries if you break the plastic rivets, as you will not need them anymore.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
^ agreed. I fought with them for long enough before I just broke them. the new flaps come with new clips so you'll be find if you break them to get them off.

:Banane35:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts