Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited CVT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks... i'm turning 30 and i've been living with this stupid fm transmitter for too many damn years... i want to upgrade my head unit to something with ipod controls built-in (iphone controls if technically possible?) and bluetooth built-in for hands-free calling with my iphone... i have a $300 budget and believe i could do the install myself if it's as simple as pulling out the old and popping in the new... i know how to get the dash apart...

so what would you recommend? i was thinking of going with crutchfield just cause they offer install kits and guides and whatnot... any issues there?

should i put it all into the head unit?

could i get a new head unit and some new decent speakers for under $300?

my 2004 forester xs has the stock 6 disc changer (double din) and factory tweeters...

spend my moneys! i'm also willing to sell the stock head unit and add that to the pot as well... maybe i could get $100 for it? maybe that's on the high side...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,521 Posts
If this is your first head unit upgrade, I'd recommend going to Crutchfield.com. Even if you don't buy from them, it's a great place to do your research. :wink:

Do the head unit first. Since you have tweeters, perhaps a subwoofer next & last, a speaker upgrade, if you still think you need one. We've never upgraded the speakers in our Foresters & we think they sound very good. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
+1
Crutchfield is a great place for people who do not have a bunch of experience. They supply detailed instructions on how to do everything. Be prepared for a little wiring. It's not hard, but you will need to mate the new stereo harness to the adapter harness. It will come with instuctions. Good luck and have fun. Take your time and it will all go smooth.

·
Registered
2015 Limited CVT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my 2004 forester xs has the stock 6 disc changer (double din) and factory tweeters...
yup... got the tweeters... love em...

think i could find a new head unit with bluetooth & ipod controls built-in PLUS a tiny powered subwoofer for around $300? i haven't done research on powered subs in the forester in years and am hoping there's a simple solution for under a seat... i use the rear of my car way too much to clog it up with a sub enclosure...

after doing a quick search i'm liking these...
Dual XHD7714 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Clarion CZ500 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Kenwood KDC-BT645U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Sony MEX-BT3800U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

this sub looks rad and like it might fit under a seat but is out of stock...
Sound Ordnance™ B-8PT 120-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
2015 Limited CVT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after reading a bunch of reviews and investigating further i found this guy:

JVC KD-R900 (kdr900) - Car Stereo In-Dash Receiver at Sonic Electronix - Sonic Electronix

might be my best bet? gets great reviews... bluetooth with iphone 3g works well and has a wired mic (i've been reading that mics built into the HU are crappy)... minimal buttons as i'll only be using this with my iphone 3g and ipod... i don't own any cds anymore and don't listen to anything but NPR

·
Registered
2015 Limited CVT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i've done some more research and am looking at the pioneer u310bt which for some reason shows as compatible with my 2004 forester on crutchfield for $399 but not compatible on sonic electronix for $300... i obviously want to order through sonic and save $100 but am wondering why they don't say it's compatible? perhaps they don't offer the wiring harness since it has a nav unit built-in? can anyone help me understand this a little better? what would it take to get the u310bt in my 2004 forester for $300 :)

Pioneer AVIC-U310BT (avicu310bt) - Car Stereo In-Dash Receiver at Sonic Electronix - Sonic Electronix

thanks!!!!

edit - if i select a 2004 impreza it gives me the same message saying it's not compatible... BUT if i select a wrx it says it's compatible with the following wiring harness: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4555_Scosche+SU03B+-+SU03.html so can i simply buy the u310bt unit and that harness and run with it? or does the 2004 wrx come with a different head unit/wiring harness setup?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts