Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I will be heading to Speed World this Sunday Morning for a couple 1/4 mile runs. I added some 101 Octane VP Fuel for a good 93 octane mix. I want a decent base line before I get a EcuTek tune. Gates open at 9 am. Forcast is for 57 degrees, high pressure and very low humidity. Should be optimum conditions for a good run.

Hope you can make it out.

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
yes please do we will accept videos only LOL

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don’t have video, but I will be scanning time sheet and posting it Monday.

A little history for perspective…Keep in mind, this is a 04 XT W/ 4EAT

( * = Corrected for Altitude)

2K miles, Stock, 91 Octane, 60 degrees...ran a 15.21 (*15.079) @ 91
10K miles, Snorkus Removed, 91 Octane, 75 degrees….ran a 15.46 (*15.305) @ 89
36K miles, Snorkus Removed, Air Hog, APS 2.5” Catback, 94.6 Octane, 57 Degrees….ran a 14.596 (*14.43) @ 93.269.

I believe the biggest factor was the 94+ Octane fuel. I mixed 2.5 gals of 101 Octane VP Racing fuel with 13 gals of our stinking 91 last week and ran it down to a ¼ tank. This morning I added another gal of 101 before I left home for the track.
By the end of the week the car felt faster. All I can say for sure is my combination, with decent fuel, will pull a mid 14 sec pass. OH YEA!!!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AaronB said:
great times for the ole 4EAT considering the minimal mods.
Thanks! I am pretty excited about the results. I think it speaks to matching mods. Opening up the intake and exhaust, within what the stock ECU can compensate for and running good fuel makes an excellant combination. Now comes time to pick a EM....

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
399 Posts
Alan,

Nice results. I definately will run a nigher octane and load the 93 octane AP map when I finally get around to going to the track. I am hoping for a 13.9 w/ my Cobb stg2 setup plus catless up-pipe on the ole AT XT.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buddy,

With a Stg 2, uppipe and 93 Octane, I would bet 13.9 or better.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Alan,

What was your launch technique? What gear did you launch in? Most auto owners say to just leave it in "3", torque break. Did you take your spare tire, jack, etc out to help cut down on weight? That may have gained you about .1 sec. :) I'd say that junk weights 50+ lbs.

Quote from PadreWRX (NASIOC):
"Drag Racing the 4EAT 101:

1. Find your brake-stall speed. Mash the brakes, mash the accelerator, and see how high your rpms go. Stock torque converters (TCs) should stall around 3000rpm. This is dependent on input-torque and is affected by other conditions like temp and altitude. Modded TCs can brake-stall up to 4100rpm. (For example, when I was stock at 4100 feet altitude, I could never stall above 2250rpm, whereas stock cars at sea level can reach 3000rpm easily.)

2. If the car starts inching forward despite pressing the brakes, then "vacuum lock" the brakes. Do this by putting it in neutral, mash the brakes, and rev to 4-6k rpms a couple of times. You should notice the brake pedal depress even further. Hold it there, let off the gas, put it in "3", then you can brake-torque again and hopefully reach a higher stall without moving forward.

3. Never brake-torque more than 5-10 seconds. A tranny-temp gauge will help you keep track of this. And never brake-torque back-to-back. Give the tranny a rest, let it cool between runs.

4. Find out how long it takes to reach your stall speed. If you've got a lot of power at lower altitudes, it shouldn't take but a few seconds. If you're stock or in adverse conditions (heat, altitude), it may take much longer.

5. OK, now you know your stall speed and how long it takes you to reach it. You might think that it doesn't matter how long it takes to reach it. But if the Camaro in the next lane stages quickly, and you haven't reached your stall speed, then your launch will suck and the Camaro you were supposed to smoke off the line will be laughing all the way to the finish.

6. So now you're at the line. Most strips have two staging lights - pre-staging and staged (sorry if my terminology isn't correct - the top two yellow lights). Stage the first light. Start your brake-torque (vacuum locking at this point if necessary). When you're at or close to your stall speed, back of the brakes briefly, let the car inch forward till you light the second staging light.

7. Then, while still holding the brakes, floor the gas, and wait for the 3 launch lights to go off. Go on the 3rd yellow (don't wait for the green).

8. And you're off!

9. Unless you plan on trapping above 108mph, just leave it in 3 the whole time. I've found that the TCU shifts just fine and our power tapers off before redline. Shifting manually (from 1 to 2 to 3) just adds more margin for error (over- or under-shifting).

10. Have fun and don't blow up anything.

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
F that leave it in 1st clutch in rev to 5k and pretty much fast slip but dont drop... well in a 6 speed anyways.. I dont know how the 5 speed would take that abuse but.... If it breaks then you have reason to upgrade to 6 speed...RIGHT?

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buddy,

I use pretty much every Hot-rodder trick I know to get the best time. Weight reduction, increase fuel octane, proper tire pressure, clean car, make sure the temp is 60 or less and barometric pressure is 30 or above, any and all things I can use for the best time.

Firebird is about 1300 feet in elevation so for NHRA Altitude Correction you multiply your ET by .99 and you will see what it would runn at sea level.

For weight reduction, I removed the subwoofer box/amp, spare tire/jack, jumper cables and assorted tools and CD’s. I also make sure to have a ¼ to 1/8 of a tank of fuel when I race. Gasoline weighs around 6lbs a gallon, 12 gallons is 72 or so pounds. I have read it takes a reduction of 100lbs to improve by a .10 of a second.

I bring a squirt bottle full of cold water and spray off the IC and mist the engine, then let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes for cool down. Just before heading to the staging lanes I will soak the IC again.

For the run down the track, I avoid the water trap, line up with the center and prestage. I leave the car in 4th. I have tried leaving it in 3rd, but I get the same times as I do when its in 4th. I wait for the other driver to prestage and stage before I stage. (The owner’s manual says you can torque brake the engine for no more than 6 seconds. If you are the last to stage, then immediately torque brake to 3K, the tree will light off in 6 seconds or less, YMMV).
When the third light trips, I release brakes and go straight. Every time, so far, all 4 wheels will spin slightly at the start. I have tried torque braking at about 1,500 to 2K, but the 60’ time was a couple tenths slower, as was the ET.

That is about it. I think I will be in a position to get the reflash in the next month or so, but will also give the 4EAT a major service. In the next couple weeks I will also be installing a B&M Super Cooler. :cool:

Keep me posted on when you go, and I will meet you out there.

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
keyser didnt mean to sound like an donkey....

wasnt saying your times werent good.

I was just posting on what I used in the STi to get me to a 13.1 1.7 stock Car times..
It also got me to a 12.89 1.67 with just a intake.

Sorry if i sounded rude not my intentions

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
DonutKing said:
keyser didnt mean to sound like an donkey....

wasnt saying your times werent good.

I was just posting on what I used in the STi to get me to a 13.1 1.7 stock Car times..
It also got me to a 12.89 1.67 with just a intake.

Sorry if i sounded rude not my intentions
DonutKing...

I was responding to fxtacy, who's name is actually "Buddy". He asked what I did and how I did it. If I included his post as a quote, my post would have been huge.

I have never seen a posting of yours that was rude. We all good!
My only problem with you guys would be you live in the F'in East Valley!! I live central Phx and work at Luke so getting together is a *****!

We need to schedule a meet.....

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
Oh ok I was gonna say ..... thats cool.... Ya Theres a meet up tonight with all the guys check out nasioc soutwest forum daily get together....

·
Registered
399 Posts
DonutKing said:
F that leave it in 1st clutch in rev to 5k and pretty much fast slip but dont drop... well in a 6 speed anyways.. I dont know how the 5 speed would take that abuse but.... If it breaks then you have reason to upgrade to 6 speed...RIGHT?
Ha Ha... I'll keep looking for that elusive clutch on my 4eat!!!! :) You need to pay more attention to detail when you read the post.. then you would have seen I was posting instructions on how to launch a 4eat (automatic).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts