Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey folks - i have a 2010 Forester 2.5X that I bought new right before Thanksgiving. I've noticed pretty impressive DECREASES in fuel efficiency as my average driving speed increases - and I don't mean I'm driving 95mph.

Most of my driving is 20 mile stretches of highway driving. I find that if I drive 80 mph, I get around 21mpg. 70 mph = 23 mpg, 60 mph = 25 mpg and 50 mph = 28 mpg.

I've never before had a car where the fuel efficiency decreases so quickly at higher speeds. is this normal/typical? oh - more info - I live in New Hampshire, and it's been pretty cold - below freezing the entire time, and down to 10 degrees; although the temperature hasn't seemed to have a big effect on fuel economy for me.

edit - i can't believe i have a typo in the subject line of my first post!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 2.0L
34 Posts
If you care about fuel consumption just forget about a Subaru, no matter how you drive it... they´re not $$ friendly!

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
I get my best fuel economy whie driving arround 60mph on the highway - 28-29mpg if i drive arround 80mph which is pretty much the normal cruise speed arround here i get abou 25mpg, so i dont see such a sudden decrease like yours. When i drive it through the city though i get arround 20 - 21mpg.
PS - i get abou 16-17mpg on Shell, i dont know what they did. . .crazy:icon_eek:

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,239 Posts
If you drive your car in the "sweet spot" you will get the best possible mileage for your car. In general, smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic cars will get their best mileage at higher speeds.
Definitely not true. Look at the chart. Some cars will get good mileage at higher speeds. But more speed = decreased mileage..period.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,587 Posts
If you're not too tall, you could go to a hotrod body shop and get your SUbie 'chopped and channelled'...otherwise you're stuck with 'the flying brick'...

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
86 Posts
I got an average of 25 miles on my new Forester. This was over long stretches of highway and some combination of stop and go. The average speed on the highway was 65 mph. Not too bad for the first 250 miles. Also, didn't baby the engine and varied rpm quite a bit.

I'm also using a manual transmission which helps fuel economy.

CapeAnn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts