Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the original Bridgestone Dueler H/L 687s on my 2010 Forester. I need to replace them and was thinking about Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread.

The only problem is that the speed rating on the Goodyear's is 118 (versus 130 on the Bridgestones). My owner's manual seems to suggest keeping the same speed rating.

Any advice on whether changing from a 130 speed rated tire to a 118 is really an issue?

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I have the original Bridgestone Dueler H/L 687s on my 2010 Forester. I need to replace them and was thinking about Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread. The only problem is that the speed rating on the Goodyear's is 118 (versus 130 on the Bridgestones). My owner's manual seems to suggest keeping the same speed rating.
Owner's manuals tend to do that, for unknown reasons. If you like the new tires, you can survive with a 118 speed rating. The real question is why they gave you 130 rated tires in the first place.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
You're fine as long as you match the top speed of your Foz to the rating. Exactly how many times do you see yourself going 118+ mph, seeing as most N/A Foresters are electronically limited to 112 mph? :biggrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've spoken to multiple tire sellers who keep telling me that T v H is really not an issue but it feels awkward going against the owner's manual.

That said, I went to Subaru.com today and looked at their tire store. Ironically, the tires that the store pulls up for my Subie include both T and H ... so apparently they are going against their own advice!

·
Registered
2000 Ford Focus Wagon 5 speed manual
463 Posts
I had the same debate and bought some T rated tires for my Forester a week ago. It seems likely that higher speed rated tires probably handle better and are stickier, but don't last as long. If you're autocrossing, you probably would want higher speed rated tires irregardless of how fast you drive. If you're just eating up interstate, going around town and not tearing up the twisties, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I had the same debate and bought some T rated tires for my Forester a week ago. It seems likely that higher speed rated tires probably handle better and are stickier, but don't last as long. If you're autocrossing, you probably would want higher speed rated tires irregardless of how fast you drive. If you're just eating up interstate, going around town and not tearing up the twisties, you'll be fine.
I think the speed rating has to do with how the tires handle heat. Higher rated tires can stand more heat and not come unglued.

As for 'sticky', better handling, whatever, longevity - pick the tire you like best. The speed rating is really not directly related to these qualities.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
I have the same problem. 16 inch Bridgestone Dueler HTS 687 with an "H" speed rating. 300 treadwear rating. They were good for the first 20k miles and then hydroplaned a bit. Took them off at 38k miles.

So I go into Costco and ask for a different tire, and they look up my car on there computers, and tell me "Sir, we can't put those tires on your car because you need a H speed rated tired. It would be unsafe and illegal for us to mount anything lower than a H speed rated tire on your car." And then proceed to tell me which tire I can buy.. and they were about $180+ a piece.. so much for the Costco deal. This is the way California is going.

So I said F that.

I bought 4 Continental ContiProContac 215/70/16 take offs from a 2010 Outback, brand new with steel wheels and hubcaps for $275. Craiglist. No TPMS.
$40 to rebalance. Same weight car. "S" speed rating. 600 tread-wear rated.
I have 30K miles on them now, and they look like they will go another 20K miles.

So I have the extra set of wheels, and when I need new tires again I'm just going to take the wheels down to get new tires. They can use their air wrenches on somebody else's car!

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Usually the higher the speed rating, the stiffer the sidewall. I always try go get the fastest speed rated tire within budget. While I don't plan on (and the Forester won't) doing 149 MPH, I like having the performance and quality of a tire that can. They tend to last longer and perform better in weather.

But hey, its your money, buy whatever tire you feel is appropriate. I too am looking at getting a set of Goodyear Triple tred. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season&partnum=16VR6ATTAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=1998&autoModel=Forester%20S&autoModClar=

·
Registered
2000 Ford Focus Wagon 5 speed manual
463 Posts
I think the speed rating has to do with how the tires handle heat. Higher rated tires can stand more heat and not come unglued.

As for 'sticky', better handling, whatever, longevity - pick the tire you like best. The speed rating is really not directly related to these qualities.
True

The speed rating isn't necessarily related to those qualities, but if you look at the same time in a different speed rating (T to H), you'll notice the T rated tire has a mileage warranty 20-40k longer than their H rated counterpart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts