Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winter is comming! Temp as dropped outside to about 34*F. Was wondering what you guys recommend to prepare our cars for winter. I am suspecting a brutal winter for the New England area. I do not have snow tires (out of budget) but I do have my car equipt with Mastercraft A/S IV P215 / 60R16 tires. Not the best but good all around tire and they are cheap :icon_razz:, in all the driving situations I been in they have been great (mud, snow, wet hard braking, ect). Just got them to replace the geocrappies that were like marbles even in an inch of snow.
Highly recommend for someone on a budget.

What else can I do to prepair for the inevitable. New England gets alot of wet snow that likes to freeze on stuff like windows.

Give ideas like.....
Tires?
Engine Mod? (cardboard over radiator?)
Portable Equiptment? (tools, shovel, ect)
Recommended products?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
I've always wondered *prepares to be possibly flamed* if a good Rain-X coating on the windows would prevent ice (or at least, not have it build up as quickly). I mean, ice starts as water on the windshield, so if water ran off the window easier, it would be harder for the ice to form as quickly, no?

(of course, this coming from someone who lives in New Mexico :huh: )

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Prep for winter here includes a brake fluid and coolant flush (do those yearly anyway, fall is a good time) and a general check of the vehicle. If the weather is bad, be sure to carry a shovel (collapsible is great, you can get into tighter spaces), pair of chains for your front tires and a tow strap. Of course an extra layer and whatever survival stuff you want as well.

In all honesty, unless you live out in the boondocks, I think people "over prepare." There are snow plows, the AWD system is great, and if the weather really is THAT BAD just stay home. Safer that way, even if you are uber prepared.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to uber prepair and head out in the worst storms. Can someone send me a link to an affordable but decent set of chains. I seen other links on the forum but I was wondering if there were cheaper decent sets out there.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
I got my set at walmart... Those buggers are heavy and I didn't want to pay for shipping.

Why go out in the worst of storms on a set of all season tires that you yourself said were cheap?

I hate to play devil's advocate, but you're asking for trouble here. Not questioning your driving skills at all, but you need to be able to get out of the way of idiot drivers.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
I hate to play devil's advocate, but you're asking for trouble here. Not questioning your driving skills at all, but you need to be able to get out of the way of idiot drivers.
agree, other than having an emergency shovel (foldy avalanche kind) and winter boots/gloves/gear the biggest thing that is going to make a difference is tires. get some, then enjoy the winter like all the other suby owners :biggrin:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I got the new Tirerack mini-catalog in the mail yesterday and they have a great article about winter driving. They compared summer/all season and winter tires. I was shocked to see that for braking, all-seasons had a stopping distance more close to the summer tires than the snow tires. On one test with a Porsche Cayenne it took 102ft to stop from 20mph with all-season tires, but only 52ft to stop with dedicated snow tires.

Spending $500 on snow tires to help keep yourself and your $16000 investment safer for winter travel doesn't seem like much money to me.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
180 Posts
I've always wondered *prepares to be possibly flamed* if a good Rain-X coating on the windows would prevent ice (or at least, not have it build up as quickly). I mean, ice starts as water on the windshield, so if water ran off the window easier, it would be harder for the ice to form as quickly, no?

(of course, this coming from someone who lives in New Mexico :huh: )
I use Rain-X all the time and it definitely makes a difference. Try leaving part of the windscreen Rain-X free and you'll see. Only times that I've noticed the effect is minimized is in those cold freezing rains.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Just get snow tires, much more useful than chains will ever be. Winterforce are amazing and will cost less than 400$.

If possible get a tow strap (cloth, with LOOPS! not hooks, never use hooks for recovery, and get some D shackles)

If its really bad out its sometimes good to keep something like ATV ramps, scrap carpet or other materials to help out if you do get stuck.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Has anyone ever seen those rubber strips you can roll out that have rubber spikes on them and you shove them under your tires when you get stuck. Helps to give traction supposedly to get out of specific situations... always wondered if those worked.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
P215 / 60R16 tires… Can someone send me a link to an affordable but decent set of chains.
Check your owner manual and this site for chain application- and clearance info for your Subaru. These might work:

SCC Super Z6: SCC Super Z6
Vulcan Tire: SCC Super Z-6 for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

You might also want to check local "chain up" laws. IIRC, some jurisdictions don't consider "cable winter traction devices" to be "chains".

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
658 Posts
Rain-X is not the answer - but by all means do the experimant above, (put some on part of the windshield and leave the rest clear.) The Rain-X leaves an invisible coating, until the glass gets seriously cold, then the coating is VERY visible, it's like peering thru vaseline!

I recommend getting the coldest rating of windshield wash you can find, here we use -45* or lower. Then I add a pint of IPA (rubbing alcohol, isopropanol, isopropyl alcohol)
this ensures that the nozzles never freeze over.
I also use straight IPA in a spray bottle for light frosts - a quick spray and the wipers will sweep the screen clean, no scraping required.
Don't worry about the alcohol on paint, it's in washer fluid anyway, I've used it for 20 years.
When the temps drop below minus 30* I cover half the radiator front with cardboard, but unless you get that cold I wouldn't bother.

It's coming....

S

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
Winter is comming! Temp as dropped outside to about 34*F. Was wondering what you guys recommend to prepare our cars for winter. I am suspecting a brutal winter for the New England area. I do not have snow tires (out of budget) but I do have my car equipt with Mastercraft A/S IV P215 / 60R16 tires. Not the best but good all around tire and they are cheap :icon_razz:, in all the driving situations I been in they have been great (mud, snow, wet hard braking, ect). Just got them to replace the geocrappies that were like marbles even in an inch of snow.
Highly recommend for someone on a budget.

What else can I do to prepair for the inevitable. New England gets alot of wet snow that likes to freeze on stuff like windows.

Give ideas like.....
Tires?
Engine Mod? (cardboard over radiator?)
Portable Equiptment? (tools, shovel, ect)
Recommended products?
If you have a 2007, I'd just check the coolant with these

to make sure you are set for a nice freeze, lubricate the gas door, and put some type of protectant/silicone (whatever you choose) on the door gaskets for those days when they are frozen shut. And pick up a spray bottle of windshield de-icer (leave it on the porch not in the car), this is good for when the doors are really froze, and are pulling off the gasket, and if the gas door still freezes shut even after lubing. There are just a few things I think of right off. And oh, lastly, if you use a key instead of the remote, lube the keyhole with lock lube, which ain't a bad idea anyway.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ummmmmmmmm.........

I just don't know how to say what I'm thinking so I won't. :cool:
Aw be nice. We can start a "Nick D winter tire charity fund" Bad enough I got to dish out $80 for a new battery before it gets really cold (Battery is origenal to car and getting weak).

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, though about it, please give me suggestions on a good studden snow tire. Looking to spend no more than $400. Thank you.

{Edit}
Firestone Winterforce
Thinking of these and getting them studded. Looking at reviews and I think I may be sold on it.

·
Registered
04 FXT
374 Posts
Sorry to hijack a bit here, but if it doesn't really snow much here besides a few days a year, do I really need winter tires, or will all seasons do? It does get very cold and stays that way for months.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Before you consider, think of how much it will snow and how much you will drive it that snow. I end up doing at least 60 miles of driving in every strom we get in the northeast which is why I am starting to lean towards a snow tire.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts