Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
412 Posts
This is a crazy price. Since I have had the door panels off of mine to take the pictures above, I can tell you that the labor involved to replace the speakers is about 15 minutes per door, and probably 10 minutes total for the dash. Total install time would be about an hour, since the brackets and wiring harnesses will already fit. It is truly as easy as popping out the panels, unscrewing the speakers, screwing the new ones in, and plugging them in. Aftermarket speakers will take a bit longer since you need to mess with spacers and brackets and might have to splice the wires, but $330 for an install is a ridiculous price and $440 is probably too much for kicker speakers as well, though I've not heard them.
If I upgrade to better speakers will I have to upgrade the wiring as well or just use the wires that are already there? How can I find a diagram for removing the door panels? Ideally I would just buy some nice speakers off of eBay and install myself. Down the road I may bump it up with an amp and sub, but for now I want to just put in some speakers and see if that gives me the desired sound upgrade.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
8 Posts
If I upgrade to better speakers will I have to upgrade the wiring as well or just use the wires that are already there? How can I find a diagram for removing the door panels? Ideally I would just buy some nice speakers off of eBay and install myself. Down the road I may bump it up with an amp and sub, but for now I want to just put in some speakers and see if that gives me the desired sound upgrade.
If you don't add an amp, the existing wires will be fine. Diagram for removing door panels was posted earlier in this thread. You will need to build or buy a spacer to mount the speakers as well. I'll post pictures and write about my experience when I upgrade mine in a week or two.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
I agree, 440 for Kicker's seems REALLY high. I can update to 6 Focal Polyglass for about the same price and Kicker is no where close to being in the same league as Focal. The plug-n-play aspect of the Kickers is nice, but I'm sure there will aftermarket adapters out within a few months, if not already.

I'm wanting to swap the "B" radio in my Premium with a NAV from a BRZ just waiting to confirm if it is plug-n-play.

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
I agree, 440 for Kicker's seems REALLY high. I can update to 6 Focal Polyglass for about the same price and Kicker is no where close to being in the same league as Focal. The plug-n-play aspect of the Kickers is nice, but I'm sure there will aftermarket adapters out within a few months, if not already.

I'm wanting to swap the "B" radio in my Premium with a NAV from a BRZ just waiting to confirm if it is plug-n-play.
I already make one for the rear, and I will develop a front one as soon as I can get my hands on a front speaker.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6-Speed Manual
6 Posts
Info and Front Door Speaker/Size Recommendation

This has been a really useful page. Ever since I took delivery of 2014 I have been chomping at the bit to start replacing the sound system, but there was so little info on what was needed. But I just want to make sure that I got all the info correct. So, all the stock door speakers are 5.25, but the front can fit a 6x9 with a bracket and a large spacer? And I've picked up some Pioneer rear speakers but still haven't decided on what front door speakers to go with and, more specifically, what size I should go with. Does anyone have any recommendation of what size I should use or a specific pair of front door speakers I should get?

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
This has been a really useful page. Ever since I took delivery of 2014 I have been chomping at the bit to start replacing the sound system, but there was so little info on what was needed. But I just want to make sure that I got all the info correct. So, all the stock door speakers are 5.25, but the front can fit a 6x9 with a bracket and a large spacer? And I've picked up some Pioneer rear speakers but still haven't decided on what front door speakers to go with and, more specifically, what size I should go with. Does anyone have any recommendation of what size I should use or a specific pair of front door speakers I should get?
No...

The rears are a 6.5" speaker and require a bracket to mount them for both purposes of spacing to clear the window and to adapt to the factory holes. The fronts are a 6x9 but can be swapped out for a 6.5" with an adapter that performs the same functions. Obviously that will have to be a different style of adapter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My misundering, I was going by the post and the pictures that MTMtb posted. The measurement he posted were 5.50 for the front and rear doors speakers, with the front using a large bracket for a 6x9 speaker. But, correct me if I'm wrong, what your saying is that with the right brakets and spacers I can fit 6.5 speakers in all four doors. And those would be the size speakers that you recommend, not a 6x9 speaker? Also, I'm sorry to be giving you the third degree, but when it comes to my cars I like knowing all the details first because I had a bad expereince with the install of speakers and a stereo in my Impreza, in spite of the fact that it was done by Best Buy...

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
The measurement he posted were 5.50 for the front and rear doors speakers, with the front using a large bracket for a 6x9 speaker. But, correct me if I'm wrong, what your saying is that with the right brakets and spacers I can fit 6.5 speakers in all four doors. And those would be the size speakers that you recommend, not a 6x9 speaker?
The 5.5" measurement is about right for what manufacturers call a "6.5 inch" speaker.

With adapters, you will be able to put a 6.5" speaker in the location that the 6x9 formerly occupied, similar to this (it was a 5x8 to 6.5" conversion, but a 6x9 to 6.5" will be very similar):

The rears will look like this:

My misundering, I was going by the post and the pictures that MTMtb posted...I'm sorry to be giving you the third degree, but when it comes to my cars I like knowing all the details first
No apology needed- better to ask than to assume.
I had a bad experience with the install of speakers and a stereo in my Impreza, in spite of the fact that it was done by Best Buy...
That explains a lot. You can get good installers there form time to time, but typically you get the fastest install they can do- not the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for your help, this has truly been a great help. I just have a couple more questions. So, I've got new 6.5 inch speakers picked out, but where can I find the brackets and connectors for the new speakers or do I just reuse and splice the speakers using the factory equipment?

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
Can anyone measure the distance between the mounting holes on the dash speaker? I have found 2 different measurements for past Subaru dash speakers but the mounting holes will tell me which one is the right one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
8 Posts
Can anyone measure the distance between the mounting holes on the dash speaker? I have found 2 different measurements for past Subaru dash speakers but the mounting holes will tell me which one is the right one.

Thanks!
I'll get it for you next weekend.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester Automatic
76 Posts
Tweeters

Are the tweeter kits worth it?
Well, yes and no. To the degree one has much improved upper registers, with greater separation than the stock speakers, it does provide some improvement. Especially for dialogue of whatever kind. However, and that's why the no, it make one realize the poverty of the great mid-range, ni hablar of bass, that makes for such an unsatisfactory audio spectrum in the OEM. While I am glad I got the Tweeter pair I am yearning to replace the other 4 speakers. If anyone has a notion in that regard apart from the Subaru units, which seem overpriced, I would welcome the input. Especially if someone has indeed made the substitution and what the results might be with the extant HU. The stock audio system in the Limited is my only disappoiontment with the car. Love it otherwise.

Too, can one insert co-ax units in the doors to provide more bass as well as mid range? T.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
I think the real issue is the speaker adapters. You need these and I don't think any mass market adapters exist yet for 14's. Some guys are making their own out of wood. Wood swells with moisture so unless sealed, these may cause issues down the line since they are attached to the door. Maybe not. Either way, I'm not good working with wood so that is out for me.

If we could get some 6.5" adapters, I think we would be set. I've always liked the Focal Polyglass Component line. Need those darn adapters first.

Oops. I see pheneryiv1 might have something for us. Email sent :)

Anyone buy the kicker tweeters? I was wondering how they sounded compared to the stock...
I just picked up a set on eBay. I should have them in next weekend. Will report back.

·
Registered
2014 forester i cvt
15 Posts
Speakers installed

6.5 front and back. This was a lot of work. On the rears used a set of adapters from the guy above and they worked good and are real sturdy. Had to modify the front stock ones to make it work. The 2014 has weird adapters that also work as door panel stiffeners and noise reduction. Put some photos on so you can look at what was done

Attachments

21 - 40 of 217 Posts