Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
Does anyone have any paper/image template for the speaker/tweeter adapters to share.
I make the adapters based on my own templates. I had to reverse engineer them. You could do the same or just drop me a line if you want a set. To buy the material alone you'll pay about the same as what I charge (and have leftover material) unless you get it wholesale.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
130 Posts
I'm looking at Polk db651

Would coaxials for the doors AND polk tweeters for the dash be too bright?
Is it better to just get a component set and spread them between door and dash?

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
I'm looking at Polk db651

Would coaxials for the doors AND polk tweeters for the dash be too bright?
Is it better to just get a component set and spread them between door and dash?
I'd go with components up front and coaxials in the rear. Doubling up on the highs won't do you any favors. When I tried that in my Legacy I ultimately disconnected the tweeters and stuck with coaxials in the doors. I should have done components right from the start.

·
Registered
2014 XTP Fancy Rubber Band
1,124 Posts
An easy way to decide tweeter placement is to just use some double sided tape and place them both at the door location and the dash, listen to them for a while and decide which one you like best. If you decide to go with both in the door, and your soundstage is too low for your tastes, a tweeter in the dash that's attenuated (-6db is good starting point) with a high crossover point (12k is a good starting point there) will help raise it. Full power tweets in doors and dash would be downright annoying...

Personally I've yet to remove the factory system, although I'm considering my options, guess it's just a matter of priorities. I used to compete in IASCA w/ Kicker as a sponsor, as a finalist in 2000 - three kids later, the stock Subie system is working ok - for now; then again I barely ever turn it over 10, silence is golden anymore. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
130 Posts
Got the db651 and 6501's installed along with the Alpine KTP-455u amp. The amp and crossover's fit neatly in a little space below the climate controls and behind the little storage bin. It sounds fabulous! 10x's better than stock.

phenryiv1's adapters http://www.subaruaudio.net/subaru-speaker-spacers/pricing/ and SVXdc's harness http://ae64.com/combinedharness-install.htm took a bit of the headache out, though it still took several hours. In particular, feeding the wire through the door tubing was quite tricky.

There did seem to be a little whine and hum when the amp level's were increased. I'm pretty sure it is leaking from the OEM HU, but I only notice it when I'm sitting inside the garage with the doors closed and everything else off.

·
Registered
2014 Forester AT
6 Posts
Got the db651 and 6501's installed along with the Alpine KTP-455u amp. The amp and crossover's fit neatly in a little space below the climate controls and behind the little storage bin. It sounds fabulous! 10x's better than stock.

phenryiv1's adapters Pricing & Shipping | Subaru Audio and SVXdc's harness Combined forward/reverse breakout harness installation took a bit of the headache out, though it still took several hours. In particular, feeding the wire through the door tubing was quite tricky.

There did seem to be a little whine and hum when the amp level's were increased. I'm pretty sure it is leaking from the OEM HU, but I only notice it when I'm sitting inside the garage with the doors closed and everything else off.
I am curious, why did you have to feed wire through the door tubing? Did you run new speaker wires?

I am thinking about adding either the Alpine or Clarion powerpack and probably a low profile sub under the passenger seat (Kicker Hideaway). I already upgraded the (4) speakers to Polks. I am keeping the stock HU, I am hoping these additions meet my needs.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring Auto
9 Posts
Hello! I'm new to this forum and Subaru. Just got a 2015 Forester 2.5 Touring with Eyesight and Nav/HK system. Id like to replace the front components. Has anyone tried the Focal K2 165KR components? Will they fit with your cool custom spacers? I'm also toying with adding a small 75x4 amp under front seat to wake up the system. Will I need anything special due to the Nav-H/K system?

I used to install/compete and judge for many years - before all new the new onboard computers.

Thanks in advance
John

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
Hello! I'm new to this forum and Subaru. Just got a 2015 Forester 2.5 Touring with Eyesight and Nav/HK system. Id like to replace the front components. Has anyone tried the Focal K2 165KR components? Will they fit with your cool custom spacers? I'm also toying with adding a small 75x4 amp under front seat to wake up the system. Will I need anything special due to the Nav-H/K system?

I used to install/compete and judge for many years - before all new the new onboard computers.

Thanks in advance
John
Congratulations on the new Forester. There is really nothing extra needed to change speakers in the H/K system, at least nothing more than what is needed for the regular audio system.

My adapters will work with those speakers. 2014+ Forester | Subaru Audio

See that page for more info.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring Auto
9 Posts
Thanks! I just got the Focal K2 165KR components and will try to photograph my install. While Im doing this is there some info you guys need? I thought I read someone forgetting to measure before reinstalling the door panel.

·
Registered
2015 XTP CVT
43 Posts
Pls post pics

Thanks! I just got the Focal K2 165KR components and will try to photograph my install. While Im doing this is there some info you guys need? I thought I read someone forgetting to measure before reinstalling the door panel.
m waiting for Patrick's adapters. Focals on the way and its next week project.

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
You just want to measure to make sure that your install does not interfere with the door panel. If you use subaruaudio.net adapters that is not an issue- only with a DIY adapter bracket.

·
Registered
2015 SQ5 ZF8
148 Posts
Just a FYI: If you already have the kicker speaker upgrade you can easily retrofit the JL C5 5x7 component system. The front kicker speakers are slightly modified KS57's. To make the JL's work you need to cut off the two mounting ears and slightly sand the plastic mount. The main advantage of going this route is that the factory mount seals to the door quite well and is fairly well made (it also shields the speaker a little from water that may drip down).

·
Registered
2015 forester cvt
17 Posts
I'm looking at upgrading my speakers all the way around, and my head unit after getting the speakers in. The main reason I want a new head unit is to have a bluetooth that functions properly all of the time, and I really don't want to have to go to the dealer 3 times to get them to replace my head unit. I have nice 6x9 pioneer speakers that I thought I'd use in my fronts as that is the "footprint" used, however I see now without a significant amount of work I don't have the time to do, I won't be able to use them. I'm not looking for a killer system, just something that meets all ranges of the music. Been reading about the coax vs component and can't decide what to do. I will likely buy the kicker tweeters for simplicity of install, but I'm very open to options on the other 4 speakers (and possibly adding a powered slim woofer under one of the front seats down the road, but I'd like decent bass without). Not looking to spend a ton but upwards of $150 for a decent set for the front speakers (as I may do the front first and then rear later). I'm not opposed to running components, though I'd probably have to read more on how to install them and the crossovers.

My question really is, if I install the kicker tweeters, will there be an advantage to running components still at that point? I listen to classic rock, country, dub step and some hip hop, so my musical taste varies considerably, just looking for good overall sound. I've been happy in the past with just a good head unit and decent quality speakers (in my old cavalier I had the pioneer 6x9's I have boxed up now waiting to repurpose and 4x6 pioneers to match, along with a nice pioneer head unit for that time.

I'm not completely concerned with sound from the speakers I'll be buying and the stock head unit though I know a few speaker sets will sound better with it since they wouldn't be powered very well. I may do the fronts and head unit at the same time, and determine if I need to add an amp (ie powerpack or clarion).

I guess a suggestion for a head unit would also be in order. I'd really like one that I can see my phone GPS on, but I've been out of car audio stuff for some time now, and know little about the newer units. While I'd love one of the newer pioneer AVH units, I'm not willing to go north of $500 for a head unit, and would much rather stay under $400, even if it was a refurb or an older model new in box. Any help or opinions would be appreciated, feel free to message me as well as I know I have a ton I'm asking.

·
Registered
2016 forester
29 Posts
Does anyone have a drawing of adapters for 6.5 speakers in both front and rear? I have a 3d printer and could easily print some adapters if I knew the dimensions.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts