Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts
I can't do adapters for the 6908, but I can do them for the 6508 (GermanMAESTRO - Powered by MAESTRO Badenia) or the 6509 (GermanMAESTRO - Powered by MAESTRO Badenia). The 6908 set has a 6x9 woofer and I cannot make a door adapter that works with those without having the speakers in front of me.

With either the 6508 or 6509 sets, they will already include a tweeter and crossover so you won't need to add anything but wiring adapters and mounting adapters.
Hello phenryiv1,
I don't need adapters. My question was only where are the built in crossovers if there are any. Or are the front door speakers and the tweeters wired only parallel? As I told earlier I want to upgrade my stereo step by step. Today I ordered the German Maestro tweeters. I wonder if I could swap them simply with the built in ones. Later I want to swap the woofers in the front door.
I hope you could understand my problem because English is not my native language ;-)

Hello, new to the forum. I just purchased a 14 Forester Limited. Was thinking about upgrading the speakers and was trying to decide between doing the Suburu 6 piece Kicker set or buying the adapters from phenryiv1 and installing something better. I had a few questions:

1. In terms of sound, if I don't want to spend more than $300 total on speakers should I just get the Kickers or should I get the adapters and put something else in?

2. I know the Kickers are just a direct replacement but if I get the door adapters and go with a different speaker will I need to do any wiring or will the speakers just plug into whats there?

3. A few people have mentioned the Alpine KTP-445U as a good addition as well to get a bit more kick out of the stock HU. What kind of hookup is involved in that? Does it just hook in to the existing wiring or do you have to wire it in?

I really appreciate everyones insight in this forum. Seems like a great place, thanks for the info!
1. Personal preference.
2. You will need 2 pairs of Metra 72-8104 wiring adapters to connect to the stock wiring. They run under $10 per pair.
3. You have to splice into the wiring in the car. You essentially use the HU speaker outputs as inputs to the amp, then connect the amp outputs to the OEM wiring that goes to the speakers. It also requires a power and ground connection.

In addition to the 445, Clarion makes a similar unit: Clarion XC1410 300W XC Series Micro 4-Channel Class D Compact $87.

Thank you so much for the info. Just a few more questions if you don't mind.

1 - So if I wanted to change our the tweeters as well I would need three sets of the Metra 72-8104 adapters?

2 - Are the Alpine and Clarion pretty similar in terms of performance? The Clarion looks like it is about $30-$45 dollars cheaper.

3 - Would I need a wiring harness to add the amp or is it just easier to splice into whats there? Can I splice into the ground/power to the HU or should I run a new line for both?

4 - If I want to order the adapters do I just tell you what size speaker I will installing or do you have preset sizes?

Thanks!

Thank you so much for the info. Just a few more questions if you don't mind.

1 - So if I wanted to change our the tweeters as well I would need three sets of the Metra 72-8104 adapters?

2 - Are the Alpine and Clarion pretty similar in terms of performance? The Clarion looks like it is about $30-$45 dollars cheaper.

3 - Would I need a wiring harness to add the amp or is it just easier to splice into whats there? Can I splice into the ground/power to the HU or should I run a new line for both?

4 - If I want to order the adapters do I just tell you what size speaker I will installing or do you have preset sizes?

Thanks!
1. There is no tweeter harness at this time. You have to clip the wires that go to the OEM tweeters and use connectors, or you can run new wiring up to the tweeter locations (which is probably the better way to go).
2. I can't see much of a difference between the 445 and the Clarion uni, but the Clarion has more power (50w v. 45w) and is cheaper. Not sure about the connectivity, though. I can't find the input/output schematics to know if there is an easier/harder install with one over the other.
3. You could run new power wire from the battery and then a solid independent ground, and then even a 12V switched, but there is no harness that will allow you to install the Clarion/Alpine unit without some splicing. The only option would be to find another late-model Subaru and cut off the vehicle harness plug and then buy a Metra HU wiring harness and make yourself a plug-in solution, but finding that plug and wiring form a Subaru may not be the easiest thing in the world.
4. You tell me the models and I do the rest.

Hello phenryiv1,
I don't need adapters. My question was only where are the built in crossovers if there are any. Or are the front door speakers and the tweeters wired only parallel? As I told earlier I want to upgrade my stereo step by step. Today I ordered the German Maestro tweeters. I wonder if I could swap them simply with the built in ones. Later I want to swap the woofers in the front door.
I hope you could understand my problem because English is not my native language ;-)
You CAN do it step by step, but it is complicated. You will have to use a crossover- and NOT the Subaru one, because it cannot be re-used- and wire it up like this:

Take the factory signal from the headunit to the crossover inputs (either cut and splice or steal the signal from the door speakers with 2 Metra 72/8104 adapters) and route it to the inputs on the crossovers.

Take the high outputs from the crossovers and run them to the aftermarket tweeters with new wiring.

Take the low outputs from the crossovers and run them to the door speakers.

There is a SLIM chance that you can tap the OEM tweeter signal and run it into the aftermarket crossovers and then run straight from there to the aftermarket tweeters, then move the crossovers later to accommodate the midrange/door speakers.

If you just wire the Maestro tweeters in place of the stock tweeters whey will not be crossed over and they will get a full range signal.

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Perhaps, a good solution would be to buy the Suburu Kicker Tweeter kit since they just plug in and contain the necessary crossover and then buy your mounting brackets for the front and rear speakers and get the wiring adapter you mentioned. Would that work?

You CAN do it step by step, but it is complicated. You will have to use a crossover- and NOT the Subaru one, because it cannot be re-used- and wire it up like this:

Take the factory signal from the headunit to the crossover inputs (either cut and splice or steal the signal from the door speakers with 2 Metra 72/8104 adapters) and route it to the inputs on the crossovers.

Take the high outputs from the crossovers and run them to the aftermarket tweeters with new wiring.

Take the low outputs from the crossovers and run them to the door speakers.

There is a SLIM chance that you can tap the OEM tweeter signal and run it into the aftermarket crossovers and then run straight from there to the aftermarket tweeters, then move the crossovers later to accommodate the midrange/door speakers.

If you just wire the Maestro tweeters in place of the stock tweeters whey will not be crossed over and they will get a full range signal.
Hey phenryiv1,
this helped a lot in understanding. Last question in this direction:
I think the capacitor which is to be found on the origin tweeters may have the function of a crossover or is just there to protect the tweeter.
So why shouldn't I use this capacitor or one of the same type for my new tweeters? I'm not bad in soldering.

Hey phenryiv1,
this helped a lot in understanding. Last question in this direction:
I think the capacitor which is to be found on the origin tweeters may have the function of a crossover or is just there to protect the tweeter.
So why shouldn't I use this capacitor or one of the same type for my new tweeters? I'm not bad in soldering.
It would be better to purchase new ones, or buy something like bass blockers. In theory you could re-use the stock ones but I would just get new capacitors.

It would be better to purchase new ones, or buy something like bass blockers. In theory you could re-use the stock ones but I would just get new capacitors.
I'm not an expert however, if you want to upgrade your system as in "make it sound better" you need to consider your components frequency range and apply appropriate crossover. It cannot be "some capacitor" unless you're feeling lucky :)

I'm not an expert however, if you want to upgrade your system as in "make it sound better" you need to consider your components frequency range and apply appropriate crossover. It cannot be "some capacitor" unless you're feeling lucky :)
Hence my recommendation not to try to re-use the ones attached to the stock tweeters.

Wow, all this is getting really heavy.
I just want to choose better speakers.

Crossovers.
Capacitors.
Heaven to Mergatroids!
You don't have to think too hard. For the most part you can just select speakers, buy wiring and mounting adapters, and enjoy. Needing capacitors or additional crossovers only occurs when a unique situation arises.

My new tweeters :)

:woohoo:

original tweeter

new tweeter without capacitor

new tweeter with new Mundorf Capacitor 3.3µF

But I will add a 2.2 Ohm resistor because the new tweeters have much more power than the originals...

New Speakers

Just finished installing JL Audio TR 650-CSi in the front and TR 650-CXi in the rear, what a difference the new speakers make. Used the adapters by Phenryiv1 and the Metra 72--8104 wiring harness. Still using the stock head unit, music now sounds like music. The only difficult part was trying to disconnect the electrical clips on the front doors, ended up raising the door skin and tying it to the top of door, this allows enough room to replace the front speakers. Thanks to all who have posted and gave me the courage to do this.

Sorry for a ridiculous question and I hope I explain this properly. So I bought polk DXi6500 for the front, Dxi650 for the rears, and the alpine KTP-445U amp. What is the proper way for me to hook this all up with the speaker wires, amp and crossover? I'm using the stock HU for now, so do I wire the front dash speakers through the crossover to the tweeters and the amp only for the four door speakers? I believe the crossover is usually built for a single input and then you route the wires for the tweeter and the speaker. But with the dash speakers, do you just route the front speaker wires to the crossover and then route that to the tweeters and leave the other terminals alone? Also, if someone is familiar with the crossover tweeter attenuation or with the alpine amp that has "High Pass Filter Frequency Selector Switches" and what the ideal setup would be for my configuration I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

181 - 200 of 217 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.