Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the speaker sizes for a 14+ 6-Speaker non-navi Forester Premium? Been thinking about upgrading cause the stocker are kind of terrible.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
I can't answer your question directly, but if you're looking for better sound, upgrading only your speakers may not help you very much. I'm assuming your headunit is stock and I'd say change that first before you think about switching out speakers. A lot of people are happy with their stock speakers and an aftermarket HU. I've heard some people are even fine with everything stock and just sound deadening. But if you're dead-set on just getting speakers, then forget everything I said and wait for someone who knows more than I do to chime in with the specs. Whatever you do, keep us posted with what you decide to do and share the results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning to run an Alphine KTP-445u compact amp to pair with the new speakers and stock HU. It's just a little guy that's 45W/channel and small enough that it'll most likely fit behind the dash somewhere.

I suppose I could see how the stockers sound with the amp first.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
I would caution against this setup. You have to use speaker out from the stock head unit to the amp. That almost always adds more noise to the system. My advice would be repalce the speakers first. These are almost always the weakest link in the chain. If you still don't like the sound, replace the HU. If you then need more power, add an amp and use the line level outputs from the replacement HU. In my opinion what you are trying to do is going to make the system louder but sound much worse.

I have done custom audio installs for 20+ years. If your looking for the cheapest way to improve the sound, start with speakers and work from there is my best advice.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo manual
1,670 Posts
On the Foz SF the Front speakers are 6.5in slim fit the vibe slick 6 are a nice option
;-)

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
In my opinion you will be better off with 4 6.5" speakers. You will need some 6x9 adapters. From a technical standpoint, the 6x9 is really not an ideal design for good sound. I'd stick with the 6.5's all around. Bigger is not always better when it comes to speakers. Just my .02

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just installed the amp over the weekend and very pleased with the sound. No whine, no buzzing... Basically no distortion that I can hear. I actually returned the ground loop isolators I had bought. I'm quite impressed for the $120 price tag.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
8 Posts
Just installed the amp over the weekend and very pleased with the sound. No whine, no buzzing... Basically no distortion that I can hear. I actually returned the ground loop isolators I had bought. I'm quite impressed for the $120 price tag.
Glad to hear this, as I'm considering the same amp. How was the install? Where did you mount the amp? Is there plenty of room behind the stock head unit? Did you need any particular wiring harness? Did you stick with the stock speakers?

Regarding the original question in this thread about speaker sizes, I pulled the grills off my dash speakers and had a look this weekend - the dash speakers on the stock 6 speaker system are part number 86301AJ030, a 2.5 inch paper cone speaker. There is a thread with good measurements of the speaker and it's mounting bracket here :
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...ket-tweeters-2010-2011-models-145666.html?amp

I have not had the door panels off mine yet, but the front speakers appear to be 6x9s and the rear 6.5" by looking through the door grills. Can anybody confirm? Does anyone have information on available mounting depth? Would the windows interfere with a 3" + deep speaker in either door? Any brackets required for mounting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear this, as I'm considering the same amp. How was the install? Where did you mount the amp? Is there plenty of room behind the stock head unit? Did you need any particular wiring harness? Did you stick with the stock speakers?

Regarding the original question in this thread about speaker sizes, I pulled the grills off my dash speakers and had a look this weekend - the dash speakers on the stock 6 speaker system are part number 86301AJ030, a 2.5 inch paper cone speaker. There is a thread with good measurements of the speaker and it's mounting bracket here :
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...ket-tweeters-2010-2011-models-145666.html?amp

I have not had the door panels off mine yet, but the front speakers appear to be 6x9s and the rear 6.5" by looking through the door grills. Can anybody confirm? Does anyone have information on available mounting depth? Would the windows interfere with a 3" + deep speaker in either door? Any brackets required for mounting?
The install wasn't all that hard. If you've done your own stereo or amp before this is right in your comfort zone. I just re-wired the audio, spliced into the power/ground, and turned the gain down about 1/4 and was done. The amp itself tucks nice and snug behind the cubby hole. It was almost like it was meant to be there.

To take apart the dash you'll need to start from step 4 to step 7:
http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/69729/pdf/069729-069706-H6710SG000ForesterCigaretteLighter.pdf

As far as the wiring diagram I didn't check if all the colors matched, but the pin numbers are accurate:
Subaru 20-pin radio harness pin-out

I'm still planning to upgrade the speakers at some point, but definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you're just looking for some extra juice for your factory HU. In total it took about 2 hours, but if I had to do it again it'd be closer to an hour I think.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Prem CVT
16 Posts
I'm curious about the Kicker speaker upgrade. Is it available yet? All I've found is that it'll be available 2nd quarter of '13. Anyone know the invoice price of it? Planning on ordering an XT Premium soon, and I wonder if it's a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
8 Posts
I took the door panels off of my '14 Premium today to have a look at the speakers.
Tweeter replacement would be very straightforward. Here's a picture of the tweeter in the dash:

This is the plug on the wiring harness it uses:

And the speaker end:

The speakers in the front and rear doors are the same - 5 1/2". The front door speaker is mounted in a 6x9 size bracket, but is a 5 1/2" in round speaker:

Here's the front door:

There is not a lot of room behind the front speaker, as the window is directly behind it when rolled down, so a shallow mount 6x9 or a thick spacer is almost certainly necessary:

Here is the factory bracket:

The wiring harness is different than the one used for the tweeters, and looks like this:

Here's the back door - pretty straightforward.

No clearance issues in the back, but the speaker is on an angled spacer/bracket:

In summary, dash tweeter replacement would be simple. Rear doors pretty easy - just need a bracket for the mounting screw hole pattern and optionally to angle the new speaker. Front door looks tricky due to depth restrictions from the window and almost certainly requires a large and probably custom made spacer, but with some effort I would guess most speakers would fit. There is quite a bit of room between the door and the grill (almost the entire factory speaker sits outside of the door itself), but I was stupid and forgot to measure exactly the clearance to the grill when I had the panel off. Hope this helps some of you - I have not decided what I'm going to do in mine yet.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
^ you can see they're trying harder with noise control than in the SH- see the rubber pads over the holes in the inner skin, in the picture of the rear door?

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
The rear doors look like one of the 2 "regular" Subaru 3-hole configurations (not including the "new" BRZ/FR-S configuration, which is Toyota/Scion-derived). If you measure the triangle I can confirm it with a stock speaker or existing adapter template that I have.

In the front, that is PROBABLY a fairly standard 6x9" shape and mounting configuration, but the 4 holes might have proprietary locations. Measuring the rectangular hole configuration will help with determining that.

If someone is willing to pull a stock speaker and send it to me I'll be happy to send you some 6x9" to 6.5" adapters to try out. Of course, I'll send you back your stock speaker as well.

Front door connectors look like they need the Metra 72-8104 (see picture here: Wiring | Subaru Audio). I can;t see the rear connector but I'd bet that they are the same. If you can post a shot of the connection point I can confirm.

In the dash, that looks like the same physical mounting pattern as the BRZ/FR-S and the '12+ Impreza, but the speakers are different and the connectors look new.

I don't really recognize those dash harnesses from any past Subaru. May be a Toyota or Nissan connector- I'd guess Toyota if I was placing a bet on it.

I will try to call Metra and see what they know. I don't actually DEAL their products but I was somehow made a Metra dealer after calling them up to ask for product info. I can access their dealer tech support- maybe someone there knows something.

Not likely, as they are still far behind on the '13 BRZ/FR-S wiring, but it won't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
412 Posts
I'm curious about the Kicker speaker upgrade. Is it available yet? All I've found is that it'll be available 2nd quarter of '13. Anyone know the invoice price of it? Planning on ordering an XT Premium soon, and I wonder if it's a worthwhile upgrade.
I got a price from NJ dealership of $440 for the 2 tweeters and 4 door speakers. Another $330 for install. I can't justify $770 for kicker speakers. There are better options for that money.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
8 Posts
I got a price from NJ dealership of $440 for the 2 tweeters and 4 door speakers. Another $330 for install. I can't justify $770 for kicker speakers. There are better options for that money.
This is a crazy price. Since I have had the door panels off of mine to take the pictures above, I can tell you that the labor involved to replace the speakers is about 15 minutes per door, and probably 10 minutes total for the dash. Total install time would be about an hour, since the brackets and wiring harnesses will already fit. It is truly as easy as popping out the panels, unscrewing the speakers, screwing the new ones in, and plugging them in. Aftermarket speakers will take a bit longer since you need to mess with spacers and brackets and might have to splice the wires, but $330 for an install is a ridiculous price and $440 is probably too much for kicker speakers as well, though I've not heard them.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Prem CVT
16 Posts
FYI all,

As a follow-up to my questions....If you're wondering, the Kicker speaker upgrade is now available. It's $216 (invoice) to get it factory/port-installed. Ordered an XT Premium about a week ago with the option. I'll let you all know if it's worthwhile....

1 - 20 of 217 Posts