Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports AT.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Last year I got a new stereo for the car. Its a Carrozzeria (Pioneer) DEH-P940.
This is the US version of it:

Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

The difference in sound between this and the stock one is amazing:icon_biggrin:
I've noticed for a while that the passenger speaker has started to make a buzzing noise especially with a lot of bass. Over the past few weeks its been getting worse and worse so I think now is a good time to upgrade.
I've decided to stick with Pioneer and go with this speaker and tweeter set that come with crossovers:

I'm afraid I know nothing about speaker setup so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to replace the factory speakers and tweeters with the ones above. Hopefully I can split open the new tweeter units to get to the speakers and mount them in the stock position.
Now for the wiring part..... The crossover has one connection going in and two coming out. One for the tweeter and one for the woofer. I don't want to run any new cables through the door so can I just use the existing wiring?
Is it as easy as just connecting the existing lower speaker cable to the "in" side of the crossover and running both the woofer and tweeter from it?

The stereo has a built in amp so I won't be adding another one.

I hope you can understand this......
As you can probably tell, I don't:icon_confused:

Many thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
I would leave the stock wiring alone, and run a new set. It will sound better, and if you want to sell the car in the future, you can salvage your after market parts, pop in the stock parts and then you are done.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
You can wire them up exactly as you described although I would be careful with trying to "split" those new tweeters. You may simply end up destroying them as I did with a component set, fyi. If you can make it work I would try and fit the tweeters as they are, making any necessary modifications to the stock triangles vice the tweeters themselves.

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports AT.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I guess if I'm spending the money on good speakers it makes sense to use good quality wiring. The same goes for the tweeters, too. Rather than destroying them I might get a spare set of door triangles and reshape them to take the tweeters. I'll probably wait until it warms up outside before I start though!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would wire them with new wires and leave the existing factory wires.

You should really get an amp as well. Those speakers look like the TS-A1702C component set and should probably be amped. While they will sound OK with power just from HU they will sound fantastic if you put some power to them. If you are only going to upgrade your front speakers you can a great 2 channel amp that in inexpensive and relatively small.

Edit: I noticed you were in Japan. I removed US links to amps. A good choice on amp would be the Pioneer GM-3300T.

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports AT.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to update on my front speakers...
For the time being I've decided to leave the speakers as stock rather than go through the process of running new wiring, attempting to fit new tweeters and soundproofing the doors. I ordered a genuine Subaru(Clarion) speaker and swapped it for the "buzzing" one which had a big tear in it:icon_rolleyes:.

Whilst I was looking into getting new speakers I began to understand just what my HU could actually do. I then realized that fitting a sub woofer might change everything so I decided to buy a Pioneer TS-WX11A under seat unit. I need the space in the back and I didn't want to fit anything too big so an under seat one was fine for me. Its got a built in amp so fitting was nice and easy.

The difference in sound now is amazing. I've been able to play around with the cut off levels, slopes etc so the stock speakers don't get pushed so hard.
The sub woofer takes care of all the bass now and the door speakers and tweeters take care of the rest.

I'm still adjusting the equalizer levels a little but its nearly there. I'll probably upgrade the speakers in the future but for now I'll stick with them as I'm more than happy with the sound:woohoo:

Thanks for the advice!!!

Sorry for the bad quality pic...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts