Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the spark plugs but the last plug had some rubber stuck inside when the coil was removed. Its a rubberized and has a metal coating. Ive tried using needle nose pliers to remove it but it does not seem to budge. Its preventing the spark plug socket from engaging with the spark plug.

Any advice on how to remove?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I had something similar happen a while back on an Impreza. This tool was able to get into the hole and allowed me to work it out. (Edit: in case the link disappears over time, it is the Lisle double offset spark plug removal tool. )
If I remember correctly, I had to loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine up slightly to get some more space.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,748 Posts
@rdogwoof X or XT?

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final Update. Was able to use some burly needle nose pliers to remove the stuck piece after an hour or so. All the yanking wore the grooves off my first needle nose.

Spark plug wires needed replacement since one broke off. When taking the spark plug wires off from the portion that does not connect to spark plugs, one also got stuck and left a metal circle inside the four prong black plastic thing. I had to remove that part and use a metal screw to get the stuck metal out (more hours).

I made sure to use plenty of dielectric grease so this would never happen again. 9hrs later the car runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts