Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing spark plugs,has anyone tried to do this? I took the boot of yesterday and it was 5" long or so, how do you get them out?Is there a trick to this? Is one plug better than the other? I have a Forester 05 XS.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary1209

Just wanted to thank you for your detailed directions on spark plug replacement. I took me about an hour but I took my time. The drivers' side was a little hairy. I thought the plug closest to the fire wall was going to be the most difficult but the front one was. The only suggestion I could possibly think of the addition of another universal for the socket set. I had one built into the spark plug socket but another would have helped out. I did have one question. I may have an issue,there was some oil when I removed the spark plug boot. Should I be concerned?

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
If you had oil on the boot or on the plug then the gasket around the spark plug hole tube is bad. The valve cover will need to be changed. You get the valve cover gasket and two round donut gaskets. If it was just a little you'll still need to do it since it will only get worse over time.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
Just wanted to thank you for your detailed directions on spark plug replacement. The only suggestion I could possibly think of the addition of another universal for the socket set.
Glad it worked out. The reason I didn't do the universal is bc over the years I have cracked a number of insulators bc you can get too much of an angle. Probably not an issue bc of the guide tube in the valve cover though.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
If you had oil on the boot or on the plug then the gasket around the spark plug hole tube is bad. The valve cover will need to be changed. You get the valve cover gasket and two round donut gaskets. If it was just a little you'll still need to do it since it will only get worse over time.
While you're at it, might as well both sides as cheap insurance.

Here's instructions from RS25 (not a Forester, but VERY similar).
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t51254-diy-valve-cover-spark-plug-gasket-install.html

Spark plug seals 10966AA000 x4 $3.09
Valve cover gasket 13294AA053 or 13294AA070 (should be this one, but double check when you buy) x2 $10.46
Valve cover bolt seals (optional really) 13271AA071 x10 $2.53
(these are list prices.. vendors will get you them for cheaper)

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
While you're at it, might as well both sides as cheap insurance.

Here's instructions from RS25 (not a Forester, but VERY similar).
DIY Valve Cover and Spark Plug Gasket Install - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Spark plug seals 10966AA000 x4 $3.09
Valve cover gasket 13294AA053 or 13294AA070 (should be this one, but double check when you buy) x2 $10.46
Valve cover bolt seals (optional really) 13271AA071 x10 $2.53
(these are list prices.. vendors will get you them for cheaper)
Great link. I need to change mine as well. Tho I have allready bought alot of gaskets for this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts