Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a few weeks away from replacing my spark plugs and have read several how to threads. It seems as though the process is a little time consuming for a first timer( on a subaru), such as myself. I recently install a 2 post car lift in my garage and am wondering if I can use this to my advantage.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the spark plugs from the underneath the car, assuming the plastic engine tray is removed? Would this make it an easier replacement or am I wasting my time thinking about doing it this way. I haven't taken the engine tray off before so I don't know what it looks like and how accessable the spark plugs would be from under there. So before removing the plastic engine tray I thought I would just put the idea out there and get some feed back. Any thought on this would be great.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I think the easiest would be to jack up the engine slightly so that the spark plug tubes are moved up a bit. The problem is they're right on the middle of the heads which are right up against the sides of the engine bay. They're not "hard" to do, just a pain getting a tool in there and then actually being able to get them out (we loosened one completely and ended up with the ratched pressed up against the body and had to just tighten it back up, ended up just letting a shop deal with the headache!)

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
Once you do them for the first time, you'll never want to pay someone to do it because it's much easier after the first time. It's that darn driver's side rear plug that gets me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I did mine on an '04. It wasn't bad at all. If you have the right ratchet tools, particularly the socket that will "grab" onto the spark plug it's not hard at all. Just take your time putting them in to make sure it doesn't cross-thread.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
I'll be doing mine again soon. It's not all that bad just time consuming is all. I've seen several people say they think it's easier to do from the bottom. I've never tried it myself, I like working from the top of the car when possible myself.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anytime you use a spark plug socket w/ rubber tube to "hold" the plug, you need to check that socket will come off the plug w/ reasonable ease,...easier than the extension will pull out of the socket. Usually, the socket will disengage if you pull very lightly while rotating the extension in a small circle. If plug/socket are too tightly engaged, the extension will separate from the socket when you try to retrieve the socket+extension.

I had this problem once on an Accord and it took me some time to extract the socket. I wound up "jamming" the extension back into the socket w/ paper around the extension to increase friction between extension and socket to allow extraction. In this case the extension-socket connection was most of the problem; far too loose.

good luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think there is enough room to do the spark plugs from the top. It took me about an hour, and I'm pretty much a novice.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
I took one out and saw that it had been replaced before with a Iridium 7, so I just put it back in. That took me a half hour and it was the easy one, pass. rear.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I took one out and saw that it had been replaced before with a Iridium 7, so I just put it back in. That took me a half hour and it was the easy one, pass. rear.
lol thats the same one we did on a friend's and it looked good. We had just replaced the oil pan on it as well so decided to just give up for the day (it was something like 2 am at this point). On the SOHC motors it must be much easier. If the spark plugs were maybe 1-2 inches higher it would be infinitely easier to do.

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
when i change the plugs on a dohc subie any model, i like to undo the motormount bolts from underneeth the car and push the motor sideways an inch. that extra inch gives you more then enough room to get the plugs done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts