Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my spark plugs today on my 2000 Forester and thanks to the spark plug thread on Scoobymods, the process went very smoothly.

I would like to add two tips:

1. The passenger side plug wires are shorter than the driver side wires. This is obvious when you look at the engine compartment, but I just didn't notice it. I changed the passenger side first and by sheer luck, I happened to pick the longer wires from the box. When it was time to install the driver side wires, it was plain to see that the shorter wires would not reach.

2. I used a T-handle spark plug wrench. It has a built-in three way swivel and a neoprene insert. The neoprene insert grips the plug. It makes the removal and insertion of the plug very easy. There's no need to get the right sockets/extensions or magnets to remove the plug. I bought mine at Sears but it's identical to this:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?2765

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Limited Automatic
19 Posts
Spark plug changing tips

Hey,
Great advice, I need help with the correct spark plug torque setting for an early 2002 Forester.
I have a recollection that I read on one of the threads here that it is 21Nm (approx 15ft/lbs) but I couldn't locate the thread again:icon_frown:
We must be blessed here in Oz with RH drive, Once I removed the air box, disconnected the electrical connectors and undid the washer bottle, hung it out of the way with a wire from the hole in the underside of the bonnet it was easy peasy:grin: even managed to get the torque wrench in there without difficulty.
Now I just need to confirm I had the settings right:!: .
Thanks in advance

A

·
0 Posts
I've seen it in manual or maintenance document that if you don't have torque wrench turn the spark in till its spacer touches the block and then turn it for another 1/4 to 1/2 using regular wrench.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts