Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned over 185k miles.

Installed new plugs tonight and discovered quite a bit of oil all over the plug boots down in the plug wells.

The worst one was passenger side forward well, pretty soaked. The others had just a little. I had the oil changed about 2 weeks ago. I checked the oil this evening and it was way over filled. That torqued me off a bit. Could an over fill on the oil cause the leaking oil...and damage the seals/gaskets?

Ideas?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
How much was it overfilled? 1/2 quart, more?

Oil in the spark plug holes usually means it's time to change the valve-cover seals (the main one, and the two other ones that trim around the spark plug opening). If they've never been replaced before, then you got exceptionally good milage out of them. It's an EASY job (easier than the spark plugs to be honest, just more bolts). I would call up Jackie at Annapolis Subaru (Site Vendor) and have some shipped in. I think mine were like $15-20/side. Took me 20 minutes or so per side to complete (and I was taking my time)

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best guess it was between 1/2 and 1 quart overfilled.

Thanks for the info on the gaskets. The more I surf around the more I think that's it.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ Has to be the valve cover seals. There's really nothing else it could be. (other that actual seepage from the spark plug itself, but if you pulled out the old spark plug, and it wasn't saturated with oil on the end inside the combustion chamber, you're good)

1/2 quart or a little more for a couple of weeks isn't a horrible thing, good job on catching it though. That's one of the reasons I do all my own now maintenance now.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the best on-line parts supplier to use for buying the whole gasket/grommet kit for the valve covers?

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good grief...I just called Hueberger Subaru ("the largest Subaru dealer in the United States")...in Colorado Springs.

They wanted $133 out the door for all this crap. I just place the order on-line for $52 to my door!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Yeah dealer mark up is not nice. I've only ever gotten good prices from vendors and former vendors on here who are dealership parts people.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Jacky is my best supplier optoin for OE parts. I think I would buy this item at my local parts store though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts