Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Forester S. The engine was idling very rough. I opened the hood and one of the spark plug boots had come completely out of the spark plug shaft. ??? I put it back in, but it would only go in about 90% of the way. The remaining 10% was very spongy. It never "clicked" into place like I've felt with the other boots I've installed. It will run smooth until the boot pops out again. I replaced that particular wire/boot and have the same problem. I crimped the boot a bit thinking that might be the issue, but I still have the same problem. Is this an issue with the spark plug? Any ideas?

--Rick

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,240 Posts
I assume that the boot is not damaged at all. It sounds like the end inside the boot is just damaged or maybe the plug doesn't have the top terminal on it? I would just to and get a new set of wires and replace tha bad one and the others when you get a chance. Make sure you use the dielectric grease on the boot. On some boots you have to push like all hell to get it to click on there. Don't be afraid to push once you know its over the insulator. You can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
The spark plug tubes might be leaking oil, do you notice any oil in there?

Doesn't the misfire cause the Check Engine Light to come on?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The check engine light was coming on intermittently and sometimes blinking. There was oil in the spark plug shaft and all over the boots. I saw the issue as soon as I removed the plugs. See photo. One of the plugs was missing the metal end cap. That's why I couldn't get the boot to grab on. Anyway, check engine light is gone and the car is running perfectly after I replaced the plugs and wires. Now to deal with the oil leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
The check engine light was coming on intermittently and sometimes blinking. There was oil in the spark plug shaft and all over the boots. I saw the issue as soon as I removed the plugs. See photo. One of the plugs was missing the metal end cap. That's why I couldn't get the boot to grab on. Anyway, check engine light is gone and the car is running perfectly after I replaced the plugs and wires. Now to deal with the oil leak.
Stay away from those bosch +2 or +4 Plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts