Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would think Subaru would include a full-size spare since the vehicle is AWD. I'm planning the 1st offroad trip next weekend and no spare (except for the donut). More money to spend after the purchase.....

·
Administrator
15,781 Posts
G'day & welcome crazyyak. Yes you would think it !

Grab a good quality tyre repair kit (i.e. with metal handles) and that may keep you out of trouble.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
More money to spend after the purchase.....
Yep, nothing is free. Whether they included it or not, you would have ended up paying for it regardless. I would check around the classified forums to see if anyone is parting one out.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Standard equipment wheels on your 2010 XT limited are 225/55R17 tires mounted on 17 x 7 wheels. The 215/65R16 tire mounted on the 16 x 6-1/2 rim is the standard wheel on the base '09 and '10 Foresters, and it's a fine "full-size" spare alternative to the donut.

More info here.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Yeah, glad my '03 came with a fullsize. Altho I do have to deflate it almost completely to get it to fit in the spare tire well with the bigger A/T tire on it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, glad my '03 came with a fullsize. Altho I do have to deflate it almost completely to get it to fit in the spare tire well with the bigger A/T tire on it.
I was told the full size spare will not fit where the donut spare is stored, you will not be able to shut the trunk lid entirely.

Anyone tried this on the 2009 - 2010?

A used tire & wheel is probably the best option for my purposes.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
Since I bought new tires a couple months ago I thought I would check the sizes against my full size spare. They are within 1/4" difference in circumference. In fact they are almost identical. Looks like I can forgo the fuse insert.:new_multi::new_multi:

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
34 Posts
The thing to remember is the we, in Australia, have vehicles with an identical rear floorpan and we are given a full size spare (see....even Subaru know that Aussies are more hard core than Americans!! :biggrin:).

There is no reason that a full size spare won't fit in your wheel well, unless (like Smash81 you've fitted a nice big chunky AT tyre).

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
^ This, unfortunately, appears to be changing. :icon_sad: See this post.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
You could look at the bright side of this situation: At least the tire is inside the car instead on the bottom of it like many others! And I do believe others are right; you can fit a full size in there. It's not a bad idea to keep a pump attached somewhere in the trunk as well because yes, it seems like it'll be a tight fit.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Fitting a f/s spare into an '09 or '10 generally appears to be no problem. I have a 215/65R16 f/s spare in my '09, and this post shows a 225/55R17 spare located in 2010 model. You do have to give up the rectangular organizer that fits over the donut spare.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all

I had my first flat tire in my 2009 forester and I was very disappointed to discover I had a small tire.

I was then very disappointed to learn that you need to disable the AWD and you can't tow with the small tire.

I got the forester to replace my jeep for off road camping with my small tent trailer. I am stunned to find out that a flat tire will not only mean you need to disable your AWD but also mean you have to leave your trailer on the side of the road. Not my idea of an off road vehicle.

I am less stunned now since I bought a full size spare and it fits nicely were the old spare tire was.

I spoke with people from my local Subaru service centre about how close the wheel has to match in regard to awd. They gave me the standard line of something like ¼ inch circumference that I think was the same figure on their website. After further questioning of their manager they got back to me the next day and said that the ¼ was really more of a “Subaru cover your donkey” measurement and they believed that you could actually go up to 1 inch circumference difference but would not want to go over this.

Del

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
After further questioning of their manager they got back to me the next day and said that the ¼ was really more of a “Subaru cover your donkey” measurement and they believed that you could actually go up to 1 inch circumference difference but would not want to go over this.

Del
Why take a chance. It takes about a minute to install the Fuse. Its not a big deal.

·
Registered
2007 MY07 FXT
64 Posts
You could look at the bright side of this situation: At least the tire is inside the car instead on the bottom of it like many others! And I do believe others are right; you can fit a full size in there. It's not a bad idea to keep a pump attached somewhere in the trunk as well because yes, it seems like it'll be a tight fit.
I'd rather have it on the bottom so I don't have to empty the entire boot of camping gear if I get a flat!

Even better, it should be mounted on the rear so you don't trouble emptying the boot or trying to drag it out from under a car already up to its balls in sand :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts