Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I went to look at a 2001 Subaru Forester S with 83000 miles on it at a volkswagen dealer. The car was in pretty good shape, very clean, brakes worked well and it ran well. The only problem was an odd space ship type "wirr" sound coming from the front of the car. It was like the sound the spaceships from the cartoon "The Jetsons." It would get louder and faster the faster I went and slow down again when I reduced speed. I don't remember if it made the sound when I was idling though. When we asked the sales associate he said it was the AWD and that all AWD vehicles do that. I didn't believe him and went down the street and asked a associate at a subaru dealer who informed me that it shouldn't make a sound like that. Also, I have driven a few other foresters and they do not make that sound. So anyway, the VW dealer is supposed to send it back into the shop tomorrow even though it came through with a clean bill before. I was just wondering if anyone had ever experienced this sound before and if it's something minor, like a belt slipping, or something major.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
My step mom's 2004 outback makes that sound.

·
Premium Member
04 XT 6spd
946 Posts
if its power steering pump, pick one up from the salvage probably under a 100 bucks plus another 100 for the install. perhaps someone else can give a second opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts