Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 XT which is parked out overnight on a slight hill with significant camber.
On particularly cold mornings, it starts fine but sounds like a tractor and is sluggish for the first 5-10 seconds until the noise disappears and all is well. I am not technically adept, but could it be lack of oil or a blockage of some sort. Levels look okay.

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Can you park it on the flat on night and see if it does the same thing in the morning?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parked it on the flat during the day and the oil level wasn't great. Have now topped up and we'll see what happens!

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
You are probably getting was is known as piston slap. It disappears when the car heats up right? If so, then this is most likely what you've got. It is a known issue and there really isn't anything that can be done.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly it is still there this morning. I have visions of dry pistons gouging deep score marks up and down cylinders. Looks like I have a "slapper" :D

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
try parking it pointing round the other way.

could also be the cambelt tensioner btw - the sounds are similar and I wouldn't expect a my05 to be slappy tbh..

Steve

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happens when parked facing down as well...only in the cold though. It clears up approximately five seconds after setting off and power picks up suddenly at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts