Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspected that some of the unwanted exhaust noise was coming through the tailgate, especially since this exhaust protrudes slightly more than the OEM one. This evening I popped a few poppers off, unscrewed the inside handle, and had a look....

The plastic inside shroud is fairly easy to get off, there are a few latching clips but if you take your time and work round it you'll ease it apart, there are a couple of tower clips inside which can be popped by squeezing your hand inside.

Once opened up the tailgate assembly is pretty empty. There is a paltry piece of material stuck to the plastic part, and that's about it. The lock mechanism and the wiper mechanism need to be clear, but the rest can be filled with something to absorb sound. I had some carpet underlay on a roll, the fibre sort rather than the rubber sort. Worth a try, by cutting it into strips and rolling them up it is possible to pack compressed 'chunks' of this material into the various apertures in the tailgate. By the time I'd finished there were no nooks and crannies that weren't tightly-filled with the stuff. There shouldn't be any moisture to worry about, the glass is sealed.

Reassembly took just a few seconds.

Is it an improvement ? Not a drastic one, but certainly better. I might do it again with a closed-cell foam or some ridged rubber carpet underlay, but the assembly certainly sounds 'dead' now. The intrusive exhaust note is less, but not by a huge amount. That leaves the floor...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
karma mechanic said:
Is it an improvement ? Not a drastic one, but certainly better. I might do it again with a closed-cell foam or some ridged rubber carpet underlay, but the assembly certainly sounds 'dead' now. The intrusive exhaust note is less, but not by a huge amount. That leaves the floor...
Yeah, don't forget the walls and the floor. When that is all done it will be a lot quieter. I will eventually do this throughout the entire vehicle to make it as "Luxury" quiet as possible.

Keep us posted w/ progress...maybe snap some photos as well.;-)

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I recently did all 4 doors and my Hatch with RAAMmat and ensolite (close cell foam). It really helped a lot. For the hatch I filled the entire area with Polly fiberfill (pillow stuffing) then I sealed all the holes with RAAMmat and covered that with Ensolite. It is much quieter now.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
did you have any issues with the polyfill messing with the rear hatch locking mechanism or the wiper motor?

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
No problems yet. The SG might be built slightly different than the SF. The motor and lock are very easy to avoid. I used pieces of the mat to keep the polyfill away from the moving parts. I have a few pix I can dig up tonight. Here is what it looked like before I started.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
sea-scooby said:
I used pieces of the mat to keep the polyfill away from the moving parts.
You omitted that key detail in your first reply. :biggrin: i had a vision of everything just crammed in there.... Was trying to better understand how the polyfill stuff was behaving. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for my dumbass questions.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
blitzoid said:
You omitted that key detail in your first reply. :biggrin: i had a vision of everything just crammed in there.... Was trying to better understand how the polyfill stuff was behaving. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for my dumbass questions.
It was actually a good question that got me thinking :)
I should double check and make sure nothing is moving around and potentially getting caught up in the lock or wipers. I might go back into the hatch and try to use spray adhesive to hold the pollyfill down. I used the super sticky RAAMmat to hold down some the the pollyfill edges but other areas might move around.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
264 Posts
Can someone please post some pics or diagram of how to remove the plastic trim for the tailgate?

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
I happen to have a bunch of detailed pix from when I added the rear hatch bar.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Angry Toaster said:
One of these weekends, I'm going to dynamat the entire rear of my Forester.
I have the hatch door and the driver side of the hatch area done and made a noticable difference. I'll hopefully get the passenger side of the hatch done soon. I'm thinking of adding a power inverter next to the accessory plug so I'd have to tear apart that side of the hatch anyway.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
I dynamatted the hatch area floor of my Forester. Helped a bit with the noise. Gotta cover all the bumps, down into teh spare tire well, etc. Some dense foam would probably help even more. May just have to do that prior to teh next LONG trip...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts