Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the one mod I haven't done yet, but probably one of the top 5 "must haves".

It looks like a lot of you have applied Raam Mat or Dynamat material to the inside of your doors, hatch, spare tire well, etc.

1..What brand do you recommend?

2. What's the cost?

3. Where did you buy it from?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Whenever you decide to do it, let's do both of our vehicles :p I'll probably go with Raam Mat or that other new brand... forgot it's name..

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whenever you decide to do it, let's do both of our vehicles :p I'll probably go with Raam Mat or that other new brand... forgot it's name..
Sounds good. I would like to do it asap. The damn BSR's <-- NVH engineering term for Buzz, Squeeks, & Rattles...are killin' me.

Where should we purchase this material? If you can find a vendor online, I should be able to get a discount.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
I remember reading a lot on this and IIRC the Raam mat stuff is awesome. When I finally get around to doing this, I will go with RM. There is a great thread on this somewhere on here. Use your searching abilities and find it!:biggrin:

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember reading a lot on this and IIRC the Raam mat stuff is awesome. When I finally get around to doing this, I will go with RM. There is a great thread on this somewhere on here. Use your searching abilities and find it!:biggrin:
Yeah, I did my seachin' but gave up and wanted to be lazy. :biggrin:

I think most guys on here have Raam Mat, but I know DynaMat makes a material as well, but it's like twice the cost of Raam.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I've used all the major brands and I swear by RAAMmat. Best bang for the buck by far! My "quiet car" thread was done using mostly raammat, ensolite and polyfiberfil (pillow stuffing). One of the biggest reductions in noise was from stuff the rear fenders full of polyfil and then raamatting them. The polyfil helps eliminate the "empty can" of the rear fenders that allow noise to echo around, and the raammat helps lower the resonate frequency which makes it tough for them to vibrate and create noise. Cover that in ensolite and you have a very effect sound barrier.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
I like this guys philosophy.
A bit more work, but less material=less weight and 3 layers of effective isolation:

Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

The main reason I like this approach better than plastering vibration damper all over every single square inch of the car is that I like straight body panels with zero door dings, or pressure dings.
I spend a couple of hundred dollars every year with my paintless dent guy.

How does he do his work? By getting inside the door panel and massaging out little dents and pressure dings with special tools that need to be able to make direct contact with the door sheet metal.

If you have raamat or whatever else stuck to every square inch you can possibly get to, then your paintless dent guy will be out of business.

If you care about the exterior look of your car, then you know with absolute certainty that you are going to get hit by the door ding gremlin sooner or later.

Make it easy (and cheaper) to get those dings out by NOT putting a thick layer of butyl backed aluminum foil all over your car.

Check that link out and you will quickly see that each panel can be removed relatively easy and allow your guy access.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts

·
Registered
2009 X
89 Posts
I used Rattletrap on my wifes Scion and the backend of my Supra and it did make quite a difference in rattling and road noise. I picked it up off ebay actually from the seller noise-killers.

It worked really well on the Scion, I did the four doors, the tail gate and the floor behind the rear seats. Now the wind noise is bugging her but there's not much I can do about that considering it has the aerodynamics of a brick.

The Supra's half way done, I need to do inside the doors still.

It did put off a slight smell for a few days after installation but it's long gone now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts