Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester
108 Posts
I soundmatted essentially my entire WRX. It took me about 120 hours to rip everything out, mat, and put everything back together. You'd more than likely won't have to do things that extensively, probably just enough mat to adhere cables and whatnot to reduce rattling as that's all that does. The closed cell foam is what helps reduce noise though.

As for brands, I completed it way back when, when Raamaudio products when they were really popular with the Subaru folks. They probably still are though I'm sure other brands have become popular. I'd suggest simply going with whoever is cheapest in terms of soundmat and make sure the foam you choose is self-adhesive. I did mine when self-adhesive wasn't really on the market and used aerosol glue which really added to the time.

Good luck though, it's very tedious.

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
74 Posts
I did do my sound deafening in the spare tire area. You will be very happy to do so.

I still have some left and plan to do in the front to reduce the road noise or door.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
5 Posts
I deadened the back hatch area of an 04 with some closed-cell foam mats that I picked up at a local acoustics deadening company (https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/). They had some spare pieces that I bought off them cheap and I put two layers in under the cargo mat and it worked really well, especially given the car had a full 3" turbo-back exhaust that would really drone on the highway. I just cut the mats to fit the space. It was a hack job but ended up being really inexpensive and effective. These things were HEAVY, it probably added 35-40 pounds of weight back there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.