Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The n/a section has been sorta dead as of late, so I'll give it a bit a juice : )

I made these clips a couple months ago before puttting stock exhaust back on. I returned to stock in order to quiet the car down/get rid of CEL in an effort to sell my SF (Still for sale BTW!!). I apologize for the first two clips as I placed the camera a little close to the tail pipe. Sound gets a little distorted because of this, but it gives you a good idea how this setup sounds. *(edit: the speakers on my laptop suck, just listened to them on a PC and sounds much better)*

Set up in videos: Injen CAI, Borla replica header-> Stromung highflow cat pipe-> Stromung mid pipe (no resonator) ->Stromung axleback

Cold start up, Idle, a few quick revs

YouTube - 99 Forester exhaust clip

Engine warmed up and reving

YouTube - 99 forester exhaust clip 2

Inside car, engine warm, windows up (IIRC), a few quick revs

YouTube - 99 Forester exhaust clip 3

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester 2.5X
243 Posts
Sheesh that sounds loud! Nice rumble, though. Did it give you any performance advantages that you noticed? Apparently turbos benefit from a wide open exhaust, but I also read somewhere (maybe here) that non turbos, not so much. Just wondering.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
I'll try and get some vids of mine this weekend.
COBB CAI, Borla replica header, Stromung HFC, STi cat back with a Magnaflow resonator welded into the midpipe.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sheesh that sounds loud! Nice rumble, though. Did it give you any performance advantages that you noticed? Apparently turbos benefit from a wide open exhaust, but I also read somewhere (maybe here) that non turbos, not so much. Just wondering.
It wasn't as loud as it sounds in the clips. Only going WOT and up hills did it it become a bit loud for me. A resonator would have helped to keep noise down a bit. Curious to hear Rob's set up.

Definitely better performance increase and better gas mileage (never calculated it, just noticed tanks would last quite a bit longer). It's not exactly wide open, as the system maintained a 2.25" diameter pretty much the whole way thrugh (with the header piping a bit smaller). I'd guess it bumped the torque/hp up to 180-185 ish with that set up. Got better throttle response and revved easier as well. My sister has an 04' OBS with the EJ25 in it as well, and when I'd drive it, it definitely felt slower/not as responsive compared to the forester.

I had a set of reground cams from delta out of an 05'RS I was planning on putting in as well. I also have a perrin pulley I was going to put on. Then I was going to get everything tuned with a PP6 and have a fairly quick n/a forester, but ended up changing plans (and cars).

I wanna hear your set up as well Rob! :biggrin: how's the SF going?

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
I will try and get a vid as soon as possible. After having a WRX for a while with all sorts of exhausts on it, I must say I really like the sound of this one. Not too loud but you can definitely hear it, plus the COBB intake is soooo loud when you get on the throttle it is crazy. Will get them soon, maybe tonight so Google will have them uploaded by the weekend.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Inside car, engine warm, windows up (IIRC), a few quick revs
Clear your CEL... :tongue:

Sounds great though... gotta love the Stromung pieces! We have almost the same setup on Slynki now, just missing the hi-flow cat pipe to complete the picture as far as the exhaust goes. I couldn't believe the difference the Borla headers made. The sound is so much deeper now (but somehow more mellow at the same time) than with just the catback!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha yeah, putting new stock exhaust on and new 02 sensors got rid of the CEL. The borla replicas definitely make a nice rumble, and actually seemed to quiet down the exhaust vs stock headers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is exactly what I've been looking for! :D

In Australia our foresters have a 2.0L EJ20, is this the same for USA spec foresters?

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5x
595 Posts
Well, I know that European and Japanese markets got the 2.0 N/A... so Im guessing that the Aussies got them too.

ScoobyDoobie is right though, the only 2.0 motor that the USA ever saw was the turbo in the WRX

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5x
595 Posts
Well... I have the exact same setup as in the videos, minus the HFC. In my experience, the "Drone" kinda depends on if your running an Auto or a Manual trans. I have an auto and it does tend to drone at highway speeds and slow around town driving.

Do you guys have access to Stromung or Borla exhaust components down under?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
ScoobyDoobie is there any droning noise inside when you are cruising at Hwy speeds?

I love the boxer rumble but hate any cabin droning noise, I like to leave the noise behind as I go by :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ScoobyDoobie is there any droning noise inside when you are cruising at Hwy speeds?

I love the boxer rumble but hate any cabin droning noise, I like to leave the noise behind as I go by :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
hey Casp.., I mean Subyroo, I don't have the set up on the car any more, but the drone wasn't too bad. It was worse with the stromung headerback and stock headers. The borla replicas seemed to mellow out the drone quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
I will try and get a vid as soon as possible. After having a WRX for a while with all sorts of exhausts on it, I must say I really like the sound of this one. Not too loud but you can definitely hear it, plus the COBB intake is soooo loud when you get on the throttle it is crazy. Will get them soon, maybe tonight so Google will have them uploaded by the weekend.

What setup are you running?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Really? Hmm... That's really raspy and loud, and I was considering a similar setup (OBX headers, STi cat, STi catback with just the STi resonator). I may have to reconsider.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts