Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a Subaru Forrester. But I came very close in 2003, when I researched, went to a dealer, and was in the process of negotiating a deal. I had gotten an offer that was better than my target price and made a stab at lowering it a little bit. They played the “got to talk to my sales manager“ game one more time, and left me waiting by myself. During that time I pondered the situation and decided that I was happy with my current car and didn’t need to get a new one. I was polite enough to wait for the salesman to return so I could tell him and he thought it was a negotiating tactic and followed me all the way to the car assuring me he could get a better deal! Poor guy, I felt sorry for him even then. Ended up to be an especially good decision because I was in a serious non injury accident a year later! It did enough damage I decided to replace my car, and by that time I had decided to go to Volvo.

Seventeen years and two cars later, I am close to retirement from my job in the environmental field, and interested in exploring some national parks, so it may be my Subaru Forrester time. I considered a Jeep Cherokee but probably going with Subaru. I am looking at a 2020 probably either a limited or a touring. I am based in Oklahoma City. I’ve been lurking here for a few days, and learned a lot! Thanks to the forum operators and contributors....

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,111 Posts
@Mike B in OK welcome to the forum from Oregon!
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

· Registered
2018 XT Touring Crystal Black
23 Posts
I drove to new Cherokee Trailhawk and it‘s nice but I worried about the 9-speed transmission I have heard about the CVT in the Sccoby but they seemed to be just a few model years. I am biased as I have wanted a Forester XT and like you I almost got one in 2005. The stealership tried the “talk to my manager” and I politely got up and walked out. I have been buying from my brother he has worked for Nissan and Ford so that what I bought. He is still at Nissan but he got the car I have always wanted and I bought it. If you haven’t driven the Cherokee please do and I think you will pick the Forester. Just my .02 cents. Good luck with your choice.

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Welcome!

You experience at the dealership 17 years ago is exactly why I chose to start dealing with the internet/fleet sales managers around the same time. In fact, my 1993 Silverado was the last new car I bought in person. ....haven't looked back since. So much easier this way IMO / IME.

In regard to Subaru, I'm lucky. I have a dealer that is really terrific. .....and even though we live 60 miles away from them, we still buy our Subarus from them. First, my '03 WRX, then my wife's '08 Forester and about 13 years later her new '20 Forester. Heck, we even bought a used car from them for the mother in law once.

Got my 2010 Challenger RT that way too. .....not from Subaru of course but another dealer via their internet sales manager. ....easy peasy.

Reactions: DJinAC

· Registered
2018 XT Touring Crystal Black
23 Posts
Kean, My brother working as the Sales and Finance manager all these years has afforded me the ability to look up a car on his dealerships website and order it so I could pick it up. He never worked for Subaru so I had to settle for new Fords and Nissans He is still With Nissan but when I got the top level trim and engine Altima and the interior vibrated with the roadway bumps and the Bose stereo, I had to get out of it. I get a different car every 6-10 months. But I am really happy with Scoobie and I can see myself keeping this Forester until it’s paid off. I love this SUV.

· Registered
2020 Forester Limited
9 Posts
I have never owned a Subaru Forrester. But I came very close in 2003, when I researched, went to a dealer, and was in the process of negotiating a deal. I had gotten an offer that was better than my target price and made a stab at lowering it a little bit. They played the “got to talk to my sales manager“ game one more time, and left me waiting by myself. During that time I pondered the situation and decided that I was happy with my current car and didn’t need to get a new one. I was polite enough to wait for the salesman to return so I could tell him and he thought it was a negotiating tactic and followed me all the way to the car assuring me he could get a better deal! Poor guy, I felt sorry for him even then. Ended up to be an especially good decision because I was in a serious non injury accident a year later! It did enough damage I decided to replace my car, and by that time I had decided to go to Volvo.

Seventeen years and two cars later, I am close to retirement from my job in the environmental field, and interested in exploring some national parks, so it may be my Subaru Forrester time. I considered a Jeep Cherokee but probably going with Subaru. I am looking at a 2020 probably either a limited or a touring. I am based in Oklahoma City. I’ve been lurking here for a few days, and learned a lot! Thanks to the forum operators and contributors....
Hi Mike B. We just purchased our first Forester, a 2020 limited. The features I would like from the Touring are the Seat Memory and possibly the power passenger seat (although never sat in one to know if it makes much difference). Mine came with the Popular Package #3 which included the rubber floor mats, that said I'm pretty disappointed with the coverage of the driver rubber floor mat and have already ordered a pair of Husky liners. Ask any questions and I'll answer what I can or others with more knowledge will jump in! Good Luck.

Reactions: Mike B in OK
1 - 6 of 6 Posts