Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 BMW Auto
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, well after owning a couple of Evo's, i've taken the plunge and decided to import a 2004 FSTI. As it's going to be a couple of months getting here, this gives me some time to get organised for some subtle mods.
I've done a bit of digging on the net but would still like a bit of help with a couple of questions i have, it all seemed a bit easier with the Evo's - plenty info on what works.

1) Is it worth changing the oil pick up pipe - unsure whether the 2004 is affected - is it all EJ engines?
2) Exhaust - On the evo i just changed the whole lot - no CAT - for around the 330 mark, keep the std downpipe? or better to change?
3) I'm in Aberdeenshire - any recommendations for tuning?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
No need for full decat to get to 330bhp.

The Litchfield pack was 330bhp with a Miltek exhaust, performance filter and remap from memory.

If you change the centre pipe for a straight through one and stick a decent panel filter on you should get to 330ish. Might be worth improving the fuel pump too as a belt and braces mod.

Welcome along by the way!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Goes without saying to get it mapped for UK fuel ASAP so may as well decat at least partially at that point :biggrin:

As Alistair says, upgrading the fuel pump is worthwhile - this is something that Subaru UK do on the Impreza STi Prodrive Performance Pack as a matter of course.

Other than that, drive and enjoy and then work out what suits you as far as other mods go.

·
Registered
2004 looking 6 MT
262 Posts
Agree with above comments,well done on taking the plunge,they are great cars and I see you picked the fastest colour so double congrats.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
727 Posts
as above plus i would not bother changing the oil pickup.

Never heard of one going in an fsti and changing it would be an engine out job as to take off the sump you generally have to extract the engine.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,591 Posts
Welcome!

Better to fit an oil pressure gauge as a preventative measure so if the pipe fractures you can see the loss of pressure (by the time the oem low pressure light comes on it is usually too late).

Andy Forest is in Scotland AFAIK and is well regarded in the mapping scene.

Enjoy the car and put some pics up!

·
Premium Member
2008 BMW Auto
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. That's fine, that gives me a shopping list to put together before the car arrives. I'm sure i'll have other questions in the future and i'll get some pics up as soon as i get it.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. That's fine, that gives me a shopping list to put together before the car arrives. I'm sure i'll have other questions in the future and i'll get some pics up as soon as i get it.
Cheers!
Do you know what exhaust is on there already? May not be standard when it arrives!

As Fivos says, AF is well respected. SiPie can attest to his wizardry.

·
Premium Member
2008 BMW Auto
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you know what exhaust is on there already? May not be standard when it arrives!

As Fivos says, AF is well respected. SiPie can attest to his wizardry.
Yeah, the pics seem to suggest it's standard, thought i may as well change it since it will require a remap anyway.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,591 Posts
The oil pickup pipe is not as common as one thinks.
I have only seen one FSTi having engine trouble due to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts