Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattling problem in my Forester, which mostly happens when the engine is still cold. It's a 2.5L engine, 1998.

The rattle is very metallic, almost like a pair of pop cans together, which gets louder upon acceleration, but mostly only in lower gears, and it tapers off significantly once the engine warms up.

I'm relatively new at car repair, so any starting point in what to look for would be helpful. The engine has about 150,000 miles on it, and after a cleaning of the throttle plate and a replaced fuel pressure regulator, the starting and shifting are quite smooth.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
it could be the exhaust shield/s. How long have you owned the car? you should have heard this noise b4 unless you just bought the car. these cars are notorious for exhaust rattle.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My wife's had the car for nearly ten years, and I've been driving it for three. It's a relatively new sound. I'll try to get a recording tonight.

Edit: I did replace the muffler and exhaust pipe in November. That might be the cause of the exhaust shield rattle.

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
The rattles are because it's a Subaru.

Just kidding.

You might check those heat shields - I had one rattle and went back under there after an install and found that a heat shield bolt had worked itself loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts