Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XT ltd 4eat
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a '99 and it runs great and has been very reliable, except for one slight issue. Sometimes it wont start. All the electronics work when the key is in the ON position, but when I turn it to start nothing happens. To get the car to start I open the hood and wiggle the battery and cables and it starts right up the next try. It usually only happens once a day out of 3 or 4 starts. Yesterday though it was every time I went to start the car. I'd assume this is a problem with the battery cable but other people having battery cable problems don't have any power to anything on the car. I have power to everything, just the engine wont start. I am picking up a new battery cable tonight and hope it solves the problem. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Sounds like the connection(s) between the battery cable terminal(s) and the battery post(s) may be loose and/or dirty (i.e., corroded). It's also possible that the connection between the battery cable conductor (wire) and the terminal my be corroded.

If nothing else, it's time to inspect, clean, and/or tighten the connection(s) between the battery cable terminal(s) and the battery post(s).

Related discussion: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...-reads-5-volts-268818/index3.html#post2820978

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts